SUMMARY: Chat Reference (long)

Amy Blevins <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:27:31 -0500

Hello Everyone,

Here is my summary of the responses that I have received from both Med-lib
and the MAC listserv.  Before that, though, I thought I would write some of
my findings from life and the literature.

First of all, I did not make a distinction in my questions between chat and
IM.  Chat would be the subscription type service (e.g. QuestionPoint) that
allows for co-browsing and page pushing, etc. IM is the free service that
most people are familiar with (such as AIM, Jabber, Yahoo, MSN, etc.)  There
are a few different aggregators out there that will allow you to talk to
people that use multiple types of IM. The two that I am most familiar with
are GAIM and Trillian.  A nice article that I found that discusses the
differences between IM and chat is:

Houghton, S. & Schmidt, A. (2005). Web-based chat vs. instant messaging: Who
wins?" *Online, 29 *(4), pp. 26-30.

I used to work at a library that had chat and they use the QuestionPoint
Software and then switched to GAIM.  From what I remember (I used to do the
stats) we usually had < 20 questions a month come through chat, and we were
on a consortium with 6 other libraries using QuestionPoint. All were
academic health sciences libraries.  That number was less with GAIM, but I
only witnessed a couple of months using that software.  It might have caught
on by now.

From my experience, and from what I have read in the literature, there is a
concern with using consortiums in chat reference.  One article suggested
that most librarians wouldn't feel comfortable routing their phones to
libraries in other states, but allow libraries in other states answer their
chat.  While it's true that chat services are very expensive, and the cost
can be reduced by entering into a collaborative group, it may not be the
best approach to service.  I only say this because in my experience, a lot
of questions that came through chat had to do with proxies, check out times,
etc.  It's hard to remember all the policies for one or two libraries, let
alone 7.  Just my two cents.

I also hear that chat works best with undergraduates, and that it has
problems such as people asking email reference questions and questions that
require more complex answers.   I think that people understand that they may
not get a complete answer instantaneously, but still appreciate instantly
knowing that they will be helped.

Now, for the responses I receivedů.

* *

*1. Which service you utilize? Free of fee based.***

*Fee based - Groopz*

*
2. Do you have mostly graduate students or are you serving a good amount
of
undergrads as well?***

*A mix of both; however, they are not from our school (our students are
graduate level medical/health science students).  When we do chat
reference we serve both our school as well as the rest of the state
(Ohio).*

*
3. Do you feel that chat is a valuable service to offer in addition to
email
and phone reference?***

*For us no because it is so under utilized.  Our patrons do not use chat.
I can see how it would be beneficial for large, undergraduate
institutions, but for us, it is just not used.*

We have been using a chat reference service since July of 2003 and have
found it to be very successful, particularly with our online nursing
students.  Our users are a mixture of undergrad and grad students,
medical students, and faculty.  We use LivePerson which I have been very
satisfied with.  However, we will be switching to a cheaper software
soon that will be hosted on our own server.  I haven't tested it yet.
You may have already found this article, but I wrote an article that
reviews one year of the service and includes information on number of
chats, types of questions asked, peak usage times, etc.

Clanton C, Staggs G, Williams T.  Evaluating a chat reference service at
the University of South Alabama.  Public Services Quarterly 2006: 2
(2/3);107-125.

**
*1. Which service you utilize? Free of fee based.***

*--We use Docutek's vrlPlus.  It combines an email reference tool along
with chat with co-browsing capabilities.  It is fee-based.*

*
2. Do you have mostly graduate students or are you serving a good amount
of undergrads as well?***

*--We have a School of Medicine, School of Nursing (jr. and sr. years +
grad students), School of Allied Health Sciences (OT, PT, PA, Clinical
Lab Sciences) and a Graduate School in Basic Sciences.   So, we don't
have "regular" undergrad students.*

*
3. Do you feel that chat is a valuable service to offer in addition to
email and phone reference?***

*--I think it is an additional way to reach users.  Our chat service is
not heavily utilized, but I wonder how that will change as the students
who are big into IM get old enough to be here. We really like the email
portion of the Docutek service as is allows us to easily share email
responsibility.*

In my other life as an academic librarian, we used LivePerson for our
Chat reference.  This was a fairly small community college so there was
a small number of graduate students.  The majority of our requests came
from within the library!  We were able to get reports on the IP
addresses coming in.

Ready Reference type questions such as which database to use for their
question, was the most successful.  We all found the reference interview
to be truncated and not nearly as successful as in-person or over the
phone.  We had a number of off-campus students who were non-traditional
and had questions that were best answered over the phone while they were
looking at a database.  For example, explaining how to cut and paste...!

Short, succinct answers worked the best.  We were also able to "push"
pages to the user so that they could see the search or the webpage that
we were referring them to.  Everyone seemed to like it but it seemed to
be successfully limited to the "ready reference" type of questions.  As
always, we used the opportunity to invite them to the reference desk,
email or appointment for the in-depth reference question.
Hope that this helps!

*Please, please, please Summarize for the list! I'm trying to implement
IM reference in my library, but need more information too. I've read a
lot from bloggers on the subject, but not much in the literature. We are
probably going to use Trillian on our end, but interface with the public
using Meebome.com <http://meebome.com/>, a non-protocol specific IM client
that exists as a
widget on your web page so users can IM you without having to sign up
with AOL, MSN, etc.*

*+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ *

I appreciate your contacting me. MIT has not used chat since 2002 for a
variety of reasons. We published an article about the subject:

 Horowitz, Lisa R., Pat Flanagan and Deborah Helman. "The Viability of Live
Online Reference: An Assessment," *portal *5.2 (2005): 239-258.

That's the best place to get a thorough answer, but I've answered you below
also. I hope it's helpful!

1. Which service you utilize? Free of fee based.

We used LSSI's software, an early version of the current tutor.com software.
We had a development deal with them.

 2. Do you have mostly graduate students or are you serving a good amount of
undergrads as well?

Our population is 10,000 students, 4,000 of whom are undergrads.

 3. Do you feel that chat is a valuable service to offer in addition to
email and phone reference?

 Not sure that I have the best answer for this at this time. I am trying to
implement chat again, using simple IM interfaces, but in a different way.
The staffing is always the problem, as we move away from as much
"just-in-case" staffing to more instruction/outreach activities.
*
*
**
*Amy, I hope this information is helpful. Please contact me if you would
like more info .......***

* *

*1.) We use the free version of Trillian that manages email from Microsoft
Messenger, AOL, Yahoo , and ICQ chat.***

* *

*2.) mostly graduate students***

* *

*3.) yes***

*
*

* *

Do you mean setting up an actual chat session through Blackboard,etc????

Here in this hospital, the "Chat" feature has been disable thru the firewall
for HIPAA reasons.
*
*
**
*I am a librarian at the Gerstein Science Information Centre here at the
University of Toronto.

We started using Instant Messaging as a reference service this past spring,
using free IM services (MSN, Yahoo, AIM, Google) run on GAIM, an IM
aggregator.
The University also offers a chat reference service using the for fee
Docutek software.

We find that with the IM service we're getting mostly students, but the
number between graduates and undergraduates are similar with the limited
data we have so far.

Chat reference is certainly a valuable addition, in my mind.  I've had
students say that they wouldn't have bothered to ask the question if our IM
service didn't exist, and that it makes their lives easier to be able to get
an "instant" answer without getting up from their computers.  I think it
also builds rapor - IM conversations are far less formal than in person,
email or phone conversations and "lol"'ing with students and sending smilies
makes us seem more down to earth and friendly, less likely to shhhh, etc.

If you're interested in seeing our interim pilot report, based on the first
few months of service, let me know and I'll send it along*
*
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
*
*Amy Blevins*
*Information Services Librarian*
*Liaison to School of Allied Health*
*2518 Laupus, Allied Health, and Nursing Building*
*600 Moye Blvd. *
*Greenville, NC27834*
*phone: (252) 744-2229*
*fax: (252) 744-3512*
*[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
* **