Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Home

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE  December 2006

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE December 2006

Autism and Environmental Toxins -- New Research

Mitchel Cohen <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 Dec 2006 03:37:58 -0500

Here's some great work done by my friend Dr. Martha Herbert on the role of environmental toxins in children diagnosed as autistic. Thought you'd be interested.

Hi Martha,
Great work! I found the following paragraph striking:

>For example, large numbers of children with autism have various forms of gastrointestinal
disease, or immune systems that react abnormally. "The gut and immune systems
are the body's gateways to the environment, and they are also very connected
to the brain."<

Researchers have found that some mosquitoes that had been sprayed with organophosphate
pesticides have a defect in their stomachs that makes them susceptible to carrying
West Nile.* I am not sure if this "defect" is then transmitted genetically,
but it certainly opens up an intersecting path to explore with autism and other
ailments, including the brain malformations that occur with West Nile.

FTNOTE
* pesticides make it easier for mosquitoes and other organisms to get and transmit
West Nile Virus due to damage to their stomach lining. (Haas, George. "West
Nile virus, spraying pesticides the wrong response." American Bird Conservancy,
October 23, 2000); An additional wrinkle in this scenario: The Virus itself may
be a marker, not the cause, of mosquitoes exposed to these pesticides. I wonder
if the same might be true of autism and other ailments.

Again, great work!

Mitchel