]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIRD Home

VTBIRD  December 2006

VTBIRD December 2006

"Searching for the penny under the streetlight"

Richard Guthrie <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:39:58 -0500

Re: Strange birds in the northeast:

These occurrences have been happening for decades with a different mix and
the cast of characters each year. I agree that there have been more frequent
sightings of western rarities recently. I think a lot of current sightings
come because we have a more alert and knowledgeable crowd of birders out
there. More field guides now cover birds from the whole continent and
beyond. So we are more aware that there are familiar species look-a-likes
from the far west that should be considered.

And I believe that it's more than a coincidence that rare birds tend to show
up at feeders, at popular birding spots, and during popular birding events
such as Christmas Bird Counts. The rarities are out there, all we need to do
is find them and know what they are when we do.

Rich Guthrie
New Baltimore,
The Greene County,
New York