Yellow-throated Warbler - Ausable Point

Dana Rohleder <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 Dec 2006 18:45:53 -0500

12/25/06 1:30-3:00pm

This afternoon I tried to locate the Y-t Warbler that had been seen the previous week at A.P.. There was no bird activity around the Site 19 area, so I spent about an hour walking around the campsites pishing and playing a mobbing tape. I even hung my humble offering of suet at Site 24 hoping to bring in some chickadees that may bring the warbler in. The only reward for my hour's work was a solitary goldfinch and a flyover by an adult Bald Eagle. Things were very dead and the wind noise from the lake made it difficult to hear well.

I reluctantly packed up and left the campsite area. Just as I approached the east end of the main beach parking area, I noticed a couple chickadees working in the cedars along the road. I pulled over into the parking lot, stayed in the car and began pishing. Within a minute or two, the bulk of the roving band came through - about 8 Chickadees, two W-b Nuthatches, and toward the end of the procession was the Y-t Warbler!! It stopped and worked over a thick branch for about 30 seconds giving me excellent views before moving on. The yellow throat was immediately obvious even when it was approaching. The wing bars, and black/white pattern on the head were all easily observable while it was gleaning the branch. After I had satisfied myself that it was indeed the bird I was searching for, I went to pick up my digital camera to get a photo since it was so close. A loose dog spooked the mixed band of foragers and the birds took off over my head and into the pines toward the point. I jumped out and tried to locate them again, but a couple more groups of people and dogs sent them high into the pines, out of range for the camera, and I quickly lost them.

Evidently, the bird is showing no sign of wanting to leave the area and continues to be a reliable rarity. Hopefully the chickadees and nuthatches will help it continue to find food as the weather worsens. Shelter shouldn't be a problem with all of the cedars and buildings around, but food will certainly be an issue. At this point, it may be a fatal move to try and leave, since it will have few natural food sources along its route south this late in the year. It may be better off foraging with a group of here rather than expending the energy in hopes of uncertain warmer weather and food many miles to the south.

Dana C. Rohleder
Port Kent, NY