SKIVT-L December 2006, Week 3

Steamboat buyer: Intrawest

Skip King <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:29:23 -0500

PRESS RELEASE: American Skiing Company Announces Sale of Steamboat
Resort for $265 Million

Dow Jones & Company, Inc. -- December 19, 2006

PARK CITY, Utah, Dec. 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Skiing
Company ( OTC Bulletin Board: AESK) announced today that it had entered
into a definitive agreement to sell Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation,
in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, to Steamboat Acquisition Corporation, an
affiliate of Intrawest ULC, for $265 million. The announced sale follows
the review of strategic options for the resort announced in July.

Steamboat was the nation's eighth most visited resort in 2006, with over
one million skier visits. Known as Ski Town USA(R), and renowned for its
Champagne Powder(R), Steamboat was recently named the "#1 Family Resort
in the West" by SKI Magazine.

Headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia, Intrawest ULC is a
privately held company that, together with its affiliates, has interests
in ten North American mountain resorts.

"In light of favorable market conditions and considerable interest from
prospective buyers, ASC decided to pursue a sale of the resort. The
proceeds of this transaction will reduce outstanding debt and allow us
to focus on opportunities in our portfolio of resorts and their related
real estate," said ASC President and CEO B.J. Fair. "We look forward to
working with the entire Intrawest team to ensure a smooth transition and
a continued outstanding resort experience for our guests," added Fair.

Included in the sale are the resort and all resort-owned operations, all
of Steamboat's resort-owned real estate assets, the commercial core of
the Steamboat Grand Hotel & Condominiums and the company's interest in
the Walton Pond Apartments complex.

The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including
Hart- Scott-Rodino antitrust approval and consent of the United States

Forest Service, and is expected to close on or before March 31, 2007.

The purchase price of $265 million includes approximately $4 million in
assumed debt, and is subject to working capital and seasonal earnings
adjustments. After closing, it is anticipated that net proceeds from the
sale will be used to repay all existing senior debt and outstanding
revolver balances under ASC's senior credit facility and certain other
indebtedness.

"Though it's only December, Steamboat is off to a terrific start for the
winter season with a number of new improvements, such as a new
high-speed lift in the resort's Sunshine area and renovations of the two
main on-mountain dining facilities. As the resort makes the transition
to new ownership, the Steamboat team will remain focused on the same
qualities that make Steamboat the West's favorite family resort:
providing the best possible vacation experience for its guests," said
Steamboat's President and Managing Director Chris Diamond.

Bear Stearns and Main Street Advisors acted as financial advisors to
American Skiing Company in connection with the transaction. Goodwin
Procter LLP acted as legal advisor to American Skiing Company and
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and Jacobs Chase Frick
Kleinkopf & Kelley LLC acted as legal advisors to Intrawest.

About American Skiing Company

Headquartered in Park City, Utah, American Skiing Company is one of the
largest operators of alpine ski, snowboard and golf resorts in the
United States. Its resorts include Killington, Pico and Mount Snow in
Vermont; Sunday River and Sugarloaf/USA in Maine; Attitash in New
Hampshire; Steamboat in Colorado; and The Canyons in Utah. More
information is available on the company's web site, www.peaks.com.

Certain statements contained in this press release constitute forward-
looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities
Act of 1933, as amended (the Securities Act), and Section 21E of the
Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended (the Exchange Act). These
forward-looking statements are not based on historical facts, but rather
reflect our current expectations concerning future results and events.
Similarly, statements that describe our objectives, plans or goals are
or may be forward-looking statements. We have tried, wherever possible,
to identify such statements by using words such as " anticipate",
"assume", "believe", "expect", "intend", "plan", and words and terms of
similar substance in connection with any discussion of operating or
financial performance. Such forward-looking statements involve a number
of risks and uncertainties. In addition to factors discussed above,
other factors that could cause actual results, performances or
achievements to differ materially from those projected include, but are
not limited to, the following: the failure to satisfy any of the
conditions to closing of the purchase agreement for the Steamboat
resort, or the buyer's refusal to close for any reason; and other
factors listed from time to time in our documents we have filed with the
Securities and Exchange Commission. We caution the reader that this list
is not exhaustive. We operate in a changing business environment and new
risks arise from time to time. The forward- looking statements included
in this press release are made only as of the date of this document and
under Section 27A of the Securities Act and Section 21E of the Exchange
Act, we do not have or undertake any obligation to publicly update any
forward-looking statements to reflect subsequent events or
circumstances.

SOURCE American Skiing Company

/CONTACT: David Hirasawa, Investor and Media Communications of American
Skiing Company, +1-435-615-0396

/Web site: http://www.peaks.com