]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  January 2007, Week 3

MEDLIB-L January 2007, Week 3

SUMMARY: advice for aspiring medical librarian

"Steiniger, Kara" <[log in to unmask]>

Steiniger, Kara

Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:15:17 -0800

Here are the replies.
**

I have been a public librarian for over 10 years before I came here.  I
would suggest taking the medical terminology course or doing a course
book like Mastering Healthcare Terminology / Betsy J. Shiland or A short
course in Medical Terminology / Collins.  If you have a library school
close by, I would take a course in Medical Research or even reference
course.  Your cataloging and acquisition experience, if it was in the
medical library, will already give you the background on finding
information.

**

All I can say is that it is great to be able to get into a health care
organization and just work. I knew I wanted to be a librarian, but
didn't realize how much I would love medical librarianship until I
started working as a secretary in a healthcare organization. They had a
small departmental library which I managed and learned a lot from
through trial and error.

Medical librarianship is a lot of knowing how to set priorities (patient
care vs. physician, vs. nurse, vs. committee or allied health, etc.) and
really getting to know the databases, resources, and websites involved
in searching for medical information.

Although medical terminology may help you get accustomed to spelling, a
good medical librarian will really just get into a search and work with
the keywords and collaborate with the people during the reference
interview to seek what it is they really want. I would say a refresher
course and some experience in reference desk work and a medical
terminology class might be helpful. I've never taken a course in biology
or chemistry, etc. and I don't think I really missed out because of it.
After working with the medical staff, you learn about it and become more
comfortable with it. You just add it into your own knowledgebase.

If you want a nursing degree, all the more power to ya, but I sure don't
think its necessary. It would also depend on they type of institution
you are in. Sometimes it helps to have a second subject=specific degree,
so you may wish to look into that as well. My best suggestion, is get
reference work on your resume. You may even consider volunteering at a
local medical facility to get your foot in the door.

**

You don't need a science background. My undergrad degree is in social
studies education.  I was a cataloger and small public library director
before becoming a solo hospital librarian.  I took medical terminology
in adult ed after I got this job and after getting this job also took a
health sciences librarianship course.  It was within commuting distance.
Now you can probably do it online. I think courses in anatomy and
physiology might be helpful.  Good luck.

**

Have you visited the MLANET site (http://www.mlanet.org/)? There are
several Web pages worthy of perusal and able to be viewed even by
non-MLA members:
+ Need for hospital libraries and librarians
+ CORE: gateway to lifelong learning and teaching Become a medical
+ librarian

Medical / health sciences libraries, as in other types of libraries need
technical services- cataloging, acquisitions, collection development
experience. Each of these areas offers its own set of interesting points
and challenges. Your expertise would be in great demand, and you'd just
need to learn the environment and terminology, the resources, etc. In
many libraries (including our's), most of the librarians are asked to
participate in public services / reference duties...That's when all of
what you do behind the scenes falls together, on the front lines,
dealing with users. Job security would be in perhaps this order:
academic medical, federal and state health government health agencies,
health association, community hospital, freelance/temporary/other
non-traditional.

Consider:
+ Joining / going to the meetings / CE courses of the Medical Library
Association, one of its regional chapters, or a state health sciences
library association
+ Taking an online course- MLA, library school, ALA, etc. Are you
current on medical terminology, licensing, metadata, informatics?

Nursing is a health sciences profession, certainly, but if you go
through the trouble of getting a nursing degree, you may want to take
advantage of your dual degree- health records audits, helping conduct
clinical trials (drug companies, medical centers), working as a
researcher for a law firm (for malpractice research), etc....Nursing
degrees require clinical practicums. It would be sad (for the nursing
profession) for you to leave that behind--nurses are in great demand.
(I went the other route- got my bachelor's degree in medical records
administration, but moved to librarianship, because I wanted to help
people find information, not restrict it for confidentiality
reasons--still it was good background.)

Many health sciences librarians these days are getting second degrees
in medical informatics (our university just started a remote program
for master's degree. Some are still getting MBAs, subject master's
degrees, or advanced certificates (preservation, archives, writing,
computer science etc.)...Data mining

**

Most medical librarians I know have NO background in the health sciences
- and most of them do just fine!  What you may want to look into is any
consumer health, health sciences librarianship or other health-related
specific courses that may be available through your closest library
school.

Visit the MLA website for more career information:
http://www.mlanet.org/career/index.html
Mentoring might be a nice option as well.

Good luck!  I've always worked as a biomedical librarian - wouldn't want
it any other way.  BTW - I happen to have an undergrad degree in biology
and specialized in biomedical librarianship in grad school (on a NLM
traineeship), but that's quite rare.

**

I've been a medical librarian for, umm, lots of years.  What I've always
liked about it is the subject of medicine is endlessly interesting and
changing.  Always some new, weird, unusual or exciting developments and
incidents to learn about.  It's intellectually stimulating... I don't
think I could bear to spend my days helping people find the latest
Danielle Steel or how to flip real estate with no money down.  And I
like being part of a team that makes a real difference in people's lives
and well-being.  I  tend to actually LIKE doctors - though of course
there are jerks in every profession - and have been able to develop some
really nice collegial relationships.

Challenges: everyone thinks they can find what they want on the Internet
on their own.  And it's all free, right? :-(   I have always  worked in
hospital libraries, but many of them have been eliminated, so it's
getting harder to find that sort of job.  At least in medical schools
and universities, libraries are considered essential so I think the
outlook may be better there.  Users are getting more tech savvy, so they
can find stuff on the internet, but it's sometimes a slog to teach them
to be critical about what they find.

Personally, I am maybe getting a little burned out on doing nothing but
medicine/nursing all day, every day.  It's such a thrill to find someone
at work who reads, who follows world events, who paints, who trains
dogs... anything but just the focus on one area.  I would think at Rand
there'd be a real variety of topics you'd be involved in!  There's less
of that here, I think.

The medical terminology is important.  If you're navigating a question
with a physician, and you can spell "pseudocamptodactyly," you gain a
lot of respect - and if you have even a clue what it might mean, it's
even better!  Plus if you have to ask them how to spell it, they
probably can't... ;-).  A  good basic course in physiology can be a good
background too, just to understand how to pieces fit together.  Helps to
recognize a relevant result when you see one, even if the terminology is
complex or varying.

**

 While it is helpful to have a 'medical background' to become a medical
librarian it is not necessary. What is necessary is a Master's Degree
in Library Science from a University or College accredited by the
American Library Association. During the course work for the Master's
Degree, studies in medical librarianship are usually included.
If you already have your Master's, you should look to the nearest
University offering Library Science and see if you could audit the
courses in Medical Librarianship.

Also, be aware of your job market. Every teaching hospital should have
a medical library staffed by a professional librarian but this has
been eroding lately as certification requirements of hospitals have
changed to allow lax interpretations by administrators.

There is also a tremendous difference in the work environment between a
hospital librarian and an academic medical librarian. In the hospital,
you may be the only professional and you will do it all, interlibrary
loan, journal check-in, circulation, reference, original
cataloging....you name it. Very labor intensive but NEVER boring.

Also, medical librarians tend to stay for long periods of time in their
positions. Some in our area were at their libraries for 10, 20, 25
years! Be aware that there may not be much turn-over in your area.

**

I am a newly graduated medical librarian, and I can tell you that I
really love this field because it is dynamic. Health sciences libraries
are really embracing technology, so there are a lot of opportunities to
try out new things. For instance, right now, some hot topics in the
field are web 2.0, wiki's, podcasting, video podcasting (or vodcasting),
etc.  It is a very diverse field as well.  You might find yourself in a
hospital library, university library, nursing school library, consumer
health library, etc.  I could really go on and on about it.

**

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee has an online class in Health
Sciences Librarianship.  That would be a really good intro for you.

The medical terminology class would be an asset.

(I came from a liberal arts background - I was a history major.  I have
worked in public, grade school and academic libraries.)

Medical librarianship is ever changing-there is always something new to
learn, it is very technologically oriented, and it is very satisfying.
I find a great deal of satisfaction in doing research for a physician
which helps him treat  (save) his patient.

**

1. Online searching classes - medline-not just pub med searching, but
medline via ovid for example 2. " CINAHL (nursing) 3. Any type of
biomedical searching classes- go on the medical library association
website at http://www.mlanet.org/education/index.html
And browse-there are all sorts of resources that would be helpful 4.
Contact your regional medical library and see what is offered locally in
your city, state, region etc.
5. Medical terminology class
6. Consider a practicum in a medical library (hospital or medical school
whatever you are interested in) or volunteer in a medical library 7.
For your reading pleasure: Introduction to Reference Sources in the
Health Sciences, fourth edition Compiled and edited by Jo Anne Boorkman,
Jeffrey Huber, and Fred Roper[NL]2004 (6 x 9 in., 389 pp., softcover)
[NL]ISBN 1-55570-418-6[NL]MLA Member price: $67.50 plus
shipping/handling; nonmembers: $75.00 plus shipping/
handling.[NL][NL]Now, after almost a decade, a new edition of the
standard guide to health science sources is available for students,
librarians, and health professionals. This completely updated and
comprehensive fourth edition discusses the various kinds of
bibliographic and information sources and their use in health sciences
and provides a comparative approach to major tools and their uses. The
new edition also emphasizes the growth of electronic resources and how
they are used in conjunction with print sources.

7. Look into the mentoring program through MLA

**

I have been a "medical" librarian for the past 20 years, working in a
medical school as director of a small but vital curriculum support
center. I also came to this job with much experience in cataloging and
technical services, which helped me a great deal when I was faced with
recataloging or completing the cataloging of the collection and
automating the library. I think you will find medical librarianship
challenging but very rewarding. I enjoy working with medical students
and enjoy learning about medical topics. I did not come to this job with
a heavy science background, so I am sure you will be able to find a
position. I would suggest that you take the medical terminology courses
and perhaps try to find an introduction to PubMed or medical database
course. I do not,  of course, work in a hospital setting so I cannot
comment on those types of jobs (doctors can be very demanding and some
hospital libraries are dealing with hospital mergers, closures and
funding problems, so be forewarned!) but for the most part I have
enjoyed my job and find each day a bit different. You might also want to
take a course in library management or supervision as you may find those
areas challenging today...genetics and consumer health are hot topics in
medical librarianship right now I think...best of luck!

**

Your interests in the last paragraph all fit wonderfully with health
sciences librarianship. Have you looked at MLA's web site materials on
health sciences librarianship as a career? They have answers to some of
your questions, such as whether or not you need medical background. (You
don't--although it certainly IS helpful if you already have it.)
http://www.mlanet.org/career/index.html
I would encourage you to explore the other MLA pages, also, as you have
time.

For training, MLA offers a number of CE courses which are specific to
the skills needed by medical librarians.

Your technical services experience will be helpful, even if you end up
in a public services aspect of medical librarianship.

As someone who has worked in medical libraries all her life--a nursing
school library, a medical school library, and a hospital library--I have
loved the work in all of these settings. The clientele, the questions,
and the health sciences literature are all fascinating. This is not to
say that all co-workers and all clients in health sciences libraries are
always lovely to work with; just as in any other field, there will be a
few grouches and stumbling blocks along the way. But by and large, the
work and the people are very interesting. I have NEVER been bored in any
of the health sciences libraries in which I worked.

The interlibrary loan system developed by the National Library of
Medicine for medical libraries is fantastic. The regional medical
libraries that are part of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine
are very helpful to medical libraries and medical librarians in their
areas.

Taking a medical terminology course is certainly a good move.

Another consideration is becoming a consumer health librarian. Settings
for this field may be in public libraries, hospital libraries, consumer
health libraries, cancer centers, etc.

Good luck with your information gathering regarding medical
librarianship as a career. If you have any medical libraries nearby (in
hospitals, medical schools, nursing or allied health schools,
pharmaceutical companies, etc.) contact the librarians there and make a
visit.

**

I just completed my MLS after working 12 years in a hospital library. I
took the Health Sciences Librarianship courses and received my degree
from Texas Woman's University online
http://www.twu.edu/cope/slis/index.htm

Dr. Jeffrey Huber has been rated by US World & News Report as the fifth
best health sciences librarianship program in the country. He was my
advisor and I highly recommend TWU and also Dr. Jeffrey Huber as an
advisor. He also is on staff at the Houston Academy of Medicine.

**

I have encouraged a couple of these more intellectually-oriented young
people in particular to consider health science librarianship careers,
and have shared some program materials with them in the past few weeks.
So far, they're either being polite to me, or are genuinely interested,
and seem eager to learn more. I've suggested they start volunteering in
a library environment to see best for themselves. If you think any of
the context you received from medlibbers might be helpful to a young
person starting out, I'd appreciate it if you could please forward the
content (stripping individual contact info as appropriate) to me. No
need to respond if you simply haven't the time for this, I understand.

I also think that alternatively, all medlibbers might appreciate your
posting such a summary to medlib publicly as a service to all of us who
promote this field.

Now I'll share my # 1 reason for enjoying this career (though I admit to
not having a library degree but an MBA, and entered this field after
years on the administrative/financial side): Every day, you're reminded
that you're doing substantive work serving patients and their families,
and/or the researchers, educators, clinicians who want to serve them to
the best of their ability. This work matters to all of us. It's
intrinsically rewarding and exciting.

The best health science librarians push us vendors to do more for them,
and partner with us in a constructive way for results. I think there are
many opportunities for active, creative information professionals to
develop, integrate, and effectively use information resources and
deliver them more intelligently to their end-users.

I'll bet your question today got many health science librarians thinking
carefully about why they're in the field. It's a good beginning-of-year,
stock-taking exercise for many!

**

I have been in the business for 24 years and not a day goes by that I
regret this path.  There is a constant new challenge and you are always
appreciated!  It has been important for me to stay current on technology
and to keep my skills in pace with the needs of the organization (I am
also the grant writer) You must diversify and anticipate changes that
may affect your place in the scheme of things, recreate yourself so to
speak.  This career offers endless opportunities to make a difference in
peoples lives.

**

You don't need a science background. My undergrad degree is in social
studies education.  I was a cataloger and small public library director
before becoming a solo hospital librarian.  I took medical terminology
in adult ed after I got this job and after getting this job also took a
health sciences librarianship course.  Now you can probably do it
online. I think courses in anatomy and physiology might be helpful.
Good luck.

**

One of the things I love the most about my job is when I find
information for a doctor or a researcher that I know will impact how a
patient is treated or be used to further cancer or diabetes research.
Those are the times when you feel you are doing truly important work.

The profession certainly needs people who are passionate about the field
and the fact that you are experienced in the technical services side of
things would be very helpful.  I don't know if you are thinking of
working in an academic health center or a hospital library -- perhaps
that is too specific a focus for you at this time.  Many hospital
libraries are staffed by only one professional (degreed) librarian who
handles everything from A-to-Z.

You might want to do some reading in the professional literature about
the outlook for medical librarians.  Unfortunately, some hospitals in
the past 5-10 years have actually closed their libraries.

**

Jobs are very hard to come by, and I would check out that angle before
you launch into this new enterprise.  Hospital libraries are closing day
by day, for many reasons, so that avenue is shrinking.  Universities -
not that many positions, and very particular about whom they hire.
Biotech is possible - if you live in those areas of the country.  The
area around Washington, DC looks good, but I don't have personal
experience of whether there really are jobs.  I have struggled for years
to be gainfully employed, and sometimes I'm not.  Much as I love my
profession, I definitely would not get into it again.  Alas.

may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
of the original message.