]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  January 2007, Week 3

SKIVT-L January 2007, Week 3

SB 1/13 - 1/15: Perspective and Expectations

Mike Bernstein <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Jan 2007 22:59:38 -0500

It's interesting how your expectations can end up shaping your view of the
ski day, regardless of the actual conditions experienced.  For three days
this weekend, I experienced a roller coaster of skiing emotion on the
Abraham to Ellen skyline.

I had some friends driving up from Stratton and wanted to show them
Sugarbush in all its glory so they could understand what it meant to be in
VT north of the Dougie Line. Though I am a keen observer of the weather
(my wife would say obsessed), I didn't really understand just how warm and
wet it got on the hill Friday into Friday night.  With cold weather and
snow showers in the forecast, along with 14" of new snow on the upper
mountain from Wednesday, I was looking forward to a solid day on the
hill.  It was solid alright, to the point where I could barely hold an
edge on the bulletproof frozen crapular.  We quickly retreated from the
desperate situation at LP to the relative safety of the better coverage
and terrain available at ME.  The friends, though missing a filling or
two, professed their newfound love and respect for all things Sugarbush.
I thought it was the worst day I've ever experienced there.  When coming
from a water-logged Stratton where there are exactly 14 trees left on the
mountain, I guess it's a matter of perspective.

I awoke Sunday with no expectations.  The day before had been miserable,
and the 1-2" expected didn't promise to improve things much.  Oh how wrong
I was.  The 1-2" turned into a legit 4-5", which along with snowmaking on
Elbow, Exterminator, and Lower Northstar was enough to really soften
things up all over the hill.  I got so giddy that I even ducked into the
woods to find something that I suspected would be there.  It was, though I
could only make 2-3 links turns at a time before stopping to reassess and
avoid deadfall.  Ran into Telenaut and RogerK for a fun afternoon of
running aorund here and there looking for the best snow.  Found it on
Lower Ext. as well as the perpetually reserved cat track from Elbow to
Lookin Good.  What started out with no expectations turned into a solid 6
out of 10 on the fun meter.

Sunday night was a blur.  In retrospect, I believe I was in some sort of
frenzy.  A mania perhaps?  What with the new snow improving conditions,
the early exit of the Eagles from the playoffs and, most importantly, the
forecast of 10-15" inthe next 24 hours, I'm fairly certain that I lost
control of my bladder and started speaking in toungues.  Might have been
the srekaM kraM though too.  Regardless, not unlike Pete Carroll, I was
jacked an pumped for Monday.  Scandalous thoughts of ditching my business
trip planned for Tuesday were even entertained.  I'm pretty sure that I
tried out at least 3 different excuses in my mind.  Mother nature would
have to cooperate though, and as we know, she's an untrustowrthy sow.

I woke up that morning to the sound of the plow rushing by on 100 - always
a good sign.  I jump out of bed to see 1-2" of fresh and no sign of
stopping.  It's dumping in Granville and I'm putting on my gear faster
than you can say rabid dog.  I rush out the door, CMHs in hand and get to
the hill as fast as the conditions will allow.  I'm headed to LP today b/c
I'm so smart, secure in my knowledge that with all this new snow, patrol
will have no choice but to drop the ropes on Mall, Twist, Stein's,
Moonshine, and Paradise like they did on 12/30.  I've got this stuff down
to a science.  Well, Professor, it appears as though there's been an error
in your calculations.  You see, I am on my first lift ride of the day no
more than 2 minutes when the snow turns somewhat quickly to sleet.  I let
out a mighty roar of four-letter disapproval and quickly get in a mood so
foul it would make the Cayuhoga River of the 70s seem like a clear
mountain stream.  I hear a rumor about Ripcord opening, so I head over to
Heaven's Gate.  I see no tracks on the ride up - liars.  Then, a few
bodies appear out of the fog and the manmade mist.  Looks nice.  Looks
deep.  F that.  I hate the world.

What transpired over the next several hours was about a dzoen runs on a
truly sweet Ripcord and reserved Paradise, along with a few on a reserved
and ski packed Domino thrown in for good measure.  Stopped in the lodge at
2:00 for a quick bite and to check the Weather Channel on TV.  Back edge
of precip was approaching - there would be no late day changeover to
snow.  That does it.  I'm pissed.  I take of my boots and storm off the
car in a huff.  Never have I been so disappointed with the weather or a
ski day.

Of course with time to reflect and get it out of my sytem, it's quite
clear that Monday was the best pure ski day of the three.  The turns down
Ripcord first thing (I got 3rd or 4th tracks) were sweet and soft.
Paradise was untouched and about 6" away from being able to go Mach
Looney.  Domino was sweet as always, and with better cover than it has 75%
of the time.  Thankfully, SB saw fit to reserve it for your humble
reporter.

Clearly, the quality of a ski day is not something which can be judged
objectively.  It's all about perspective and expectations.