SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE February 2007

Re: Merck Suspends Lobbying for Vaccine

Mitchel Cohen <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Feb 2007 02:05:30 -0500

I have read nothing that says there is a direct
cause and effect relationship between HPV and cervical cancer.

Gardasil is a corporate money-making scam from
beginning to end. Listen to Meerck's ads. It's
based on scare tactics with disclaimers that it
doesn't necessarily prevent all (i.e. your)
cancer. Absolutely disgraceful, no, criminal,
that they are targeting young women.

Merck is claiming Gardasil will protect young
girls and women from four strains of human
papillomaviruses, *which in some cases is believed* to lead to cervical cancer.

I have yet to see anything, including the Merck
commercials, that actually state that a
cause/effect relationship has been shown.

No mention anywhere of the relationship between
cervical cancer and environmental toxins and pesticides.

In previous comments, Michael Balter stated that
these concerns and those of Jonathan's were
"parodies of what a discussion by progressives of
the cervical cancer controversy might look like."
Thank Marx that thousands of parents across the
country rejected Michael Balter's ridicule and
took these concerns seriously, creating a
movement that blocked the mandatory vaccination
of pre-teen and early teen girls.

In reality, Meerck rushed through the H.P.V.
vaccine to help pay for its Vioxx losses. Vioxx,
the painkiller taken off the market in 2004
because it was linked to cardiovascular problems, was also made by Merck.

I repeat a few sentences that I posted at the
beginning of our debate about this that have gone unanswered:

The claim is being made that the research studies
themselves were tainted. (Why Michael Balter has
not commented on this is fascinating, since it is easy enough to check.)

We are told that 90 percent of the people in the
control group were not given true placebos, but
actually "given injections containing an aluminum
salt adjuvant (vaccine enhancer) that is also a
component of GARDASIL. ... Alum adjuvants are
suspected to be responsible for Gulf War disease
and other possible vaccination-related complications."

So basically the claim here is that the number of
women in the control group developing genital
warts was INCREASED BY THE SO-CALLED PLACEBO.
This is a very serious claim -- if this turns out
to be true, it is astounding, as is the assertion
that NONE (ZERO) of the women in the control
group actually developed cervical cancer. In that
case, the comparison is totally flawed and there
would zeno basis for this vaccine whatsoever! The
author writes that "this vaccine’s supposed
efficacy is based on the fact that the vaccinated
group ended up with far fewer cases (5 vs. about
200) of genital warts and “precancerous lesions”
(dysplasias) than the alum injected “control” subjects."

FURTHERMORE, NOT A SINGLE SUBJECT IN THE CONTROL
GROUP ACTUALLY CONTRACTED CERVICAL CANCER, MUCH
LESS DIED OF IT. So it cannot be said that X
numbers died of cervical cancer from the control
group, while Y numbers died from cervical cancer
in the Gardasil group. Instead, this vaccine’s
supposed efficacy is based on the fact that the
vaccinated group ended up with far fewer cases (5
vs. about 200) of genital warts and “precancerous
lesions” (dysplasias) than the alum injected
“control” subjects. The MOST that can be said of
this vaccine is that it reduces genital warts --
but even there, because of the tainted Control Group, even that is not clear.

Because the tests included just four years of
follow up at most, the long term effects and
efficacy of this vaccine are completely unknown
for anyone. All but the shortest term effects are
completely unknown for little girls. Considering
the tiny size of youngster study, the data about
the short term side effects for girls are also dubious.

Even if we subscribe to the theory that HPV
causes cervical cancer, there is ZERO hard data
from Meerck's own study showing that this vaccine
reduces cervical cancer rates or cervical cancer mortality rates.

***********************************
Now, let's talk about what it means to inoculate CHILDREN with this vaccine.

Reported Adverse Events from the Gardasil Vaccine
Human Papilloma Virus Vaccine Safety

Analysis of Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System Reports:
Adverse Reactions, Concerns and Implications

(Report from National Vaccine Information Center)

On June 8th 2006, the Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) announced the approval of
GARDASIL, and on June 29th the Advisory Committee
on Immunizations Practices (ACIP) voted to
recommend adding GARDASIL human papilloma virus
vaccine to the Centers for Disease Control's
national childhood recommended immunization
schedule. On July 14th the first report of a
serious reaction to the vaccine was filed with
the federal Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS).

A 16-year-old Illinois girl was vaccinated July
7th and 13 days later developed symptoms
eventually diagnosed as Guillian-Barre Syndrome.
A 14-year-old girl in the District of Columbia
was vaccinated on July 11th and complained of
severe pain immediately following the injection,
fell off the examining table and experienced a 10
to 15 second fainting spell ending up in the
emergency room with a headache and speech
problems. The report of this reaction, the first
in the nation, was filed on July 14th, 15 days after the ACIP vote.

Six months later, 82 reports of GARDASIL
reactions have been submitted to VAERS on behalf
of at least 84 young girls and 2 boys.[1]
Reaction reports have come in from 21 states and
the District of Columbia.[2] Reactions were
reported for children and young adults ranging in
age from 11 to 27. Of the reports indicating what
day the vaccine was given and the reaction
occurred, 63 percent stated that the reaction
occurred the same day the vaccine was given. All
but three of the reports were for reactions that
occurred within one week of vaccination.

This document is divided into three sections. The
first section describes reaction reports for a
number of reported adverse events: neurological
symptoms including syncopal episodes and
seizures, arthralgia and joint pain,
Guillian-Barre Syndrome, and other immunological
reactions. The second section addresses concerns
related to vaccinating individuals already
infected with HPV. The last section discusses
issues that need to be addressed by government
regulators and the manufacturer and
considerations for clinicians and consumers.

Reported Adverse Events

Presumably, the reactions described below
occurred after the first dose of GARDASIL.
GARDASIL is given in a three-dose series. None of
the reports stated that the children and adults
experiencing problems had previously been vaccinated with GARDASIL.

Syncopal Episodes and Seizures. One-quarter of
all reports filed after GARDASIL vaccination were
for neurologic adverse events including loss of
consciousness, syncope, syncopal events and
seizures. An additional five reports included
symptoms of dizziness and feeling faint.

Syncope is defined as a temporary suspension of
consciousness due to generalized cerebral
ischemia (inadequate blood flow and lack of
oxygen). The reports of syncopal episodes and
their descriptions are remarkable. A physician
from Washington State reported that in one
morning, three patients experienced syncopal
episodes. On August 8th another physician's
office reported that two patients experienced
syncopal episodes on the same day.

Although these reports did not detail what
happened to the individuals experiencing these
syncopal episodes, other reports did. The
14-year-old DC girl mentioned earlier experienced
a syncopal episode combined with amblyopia (poor
vision in one eye), abnormal speech, vomiting, and headache.

Also experiencing vision problems, a 17-year-old
New York girl reported feeling dizzy and her
vision went "black for a few seconds" and she
turned pale and lips turned purple and she also
had fever and chills. Similar to the DC girl, on
July 18th immediately after being vaccinated, a
22-year-old Kentucky woman experienced slurred
speech accompanied by pallor and shock.

On August 29th, two hours after being vaccinated,
a 15-year-old New York girl who had a history of
asthma and was on four asthma medications
experienced difficulty swallowing prompting a
visit to the emergency room. On August 17th, 15
minutes after being vaccinated, a 14-year-old
Pennsylvania girl passed out in the car on the way home.

Most of the reports do not describe what happened
as a result of the syncopal episode but a few do.
One 11-year-old Florida girl fell from the
examining table and two Washington girls fell - a
16-year-old girl fell and hit her head on a
carpeted concrete surface and a 14-year-old girl fell down and broke her nose.

Whether the 22 girls who experienced syncopal
episodes actually experienced atonic seizures
cannot be determined from these reports. Four
girls, however, displayed observable seizure
activity. The 11-year-old Florida girl who fell
from the table also displayed "tonic posturing."
Tonic posturing is a type of seizure where
sustained contraction of muscles in the legs and
arms occurs and consciousness is impaired.

The 16-year-old Washington girl who fell and hit
her head on the floor lost consciousness for one
minute and displayed tonic posturing of her right
hand. Additionally, a 15-year-old girl from
Virginia was described as having "a mild
seizure." In California, a 13-year-old girl was
walking down the hall after her vaccination, fell
and had a 15-second tonic/clonic seizure.
Tonic/clonic seizures are also known as "grand mal" seizures.

Additionally, there were reports of dyskinesia
(difficulty or distortion in performing voluntary
movements) and hypokinesia (slow or diminished
movement of the body musculature) both of which have neurological implications.

Arthralgia, Joint Pain and Fever. Arthralgia is
defined as pain in the joints. Concerns about
arthritis were raised during the GARDASIL
clinical trials. Reports of arthralgia in one or
more joints accompanied by fever were noted in
five instances from four young girls and women in
Wisconsin, Texas and New York, and one 18-year-old New York male.

Guillain-Barre Syndrome. Reports state that two
recently vaccinated 16-year-old girls - one from
Illinois and the other from Mississippi - were
diagnosed with Guillian-Barre Syndrome (GBS)
following vaccination with GARDASIL. In both
cases, the onset of symptoms occurred 13 days
after vaccination. According to the National
Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke:

GBS is a serious disorder in which the body's
immune system attacks part of the peripheral
nervous system. The first symptoms of this
disorder include varying degrees of weakness or
tingling sensations in the legs. In many
instances, the weakness and abnormal sensations
spread to the arms and upper body. These symptoms
can increase in intensity until certain muscles
cannot be used at all and, when severe, the
patient is almost totally paralyzed. …
Vaccinations can trigger onset of GBS.[3]

The Illinois girl described earlier was
vaccinated on July 7th and symptoms were evident
by July 20th. The girl also experienced gait
abnormalities (trouble walking properly),
asthenia (weakness without loss of strength),
paresthesia (burning, prickling, tingling or
numbness sensation usually felt in the hands,
arms, feet and legs), and hyperkinesia (abnormal
increase in muscle movement). The Mississippi
girl was vaccinated on July 31st and by August
13th she had increasing numbness and tingling in
her feet and hands and was subsequently evaluated
by a neurologist and diagnosed with GBS. The
current health status of these girls is not known.

In both of these cases, the girls were also
vaccinated with Aventis Pasteur's Menactra, a
vaccine for meningococcal infections. Menactra
has previously been associated with
Guillain-Barre Syndrome, and the FDA and others have issued alerts.

Other Adverse Reactions.

Additionally, a number of other reactions to
GARDASIL are noted in VAERS reports and they
include: urticaria (hives); pruritus (itching);
macular and papular rashes; blisters and vesicles
near the injection site; swollen arms;
lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes); red, hot
swollen knots at injection site; burning,
stabbing, severe and radiating pain at the
injection site and in the affected limb during
and after injection; nausea and vomiting;
infections and skin ulcers, and other allergic reactions.

To read the rest of this report go to
http://www.909shot.com/Diseases/HPV/HPVrpt.htm

- Mitchel Cohen