VTBIRD Archives

March 2007

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Holly Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:51:39 -0500
A Pileated Woodpecker flew along our hedgerow on Saturday.  We see them in
the area several times a year, and it is always a treat.  The flock of
robins is still around, along with goldfinches, definitely starting to
show some yellow; at least seven cardinals, (I frequently see the males
chasing each other); four titmice; a few House Finches; lots of
chickadees; some Mourning Doves and Blue Jays; eight Tree Sparrows; House
Sparrows; Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers; and the occasional junco.  And this
weekend, an unusual visitor -- an oppossum.  Though not a bird, we got
huge enjoyment watching him eating bird seed, waddling around the yard and
then coming up in the covered porch to sit on the doormat and groom
himself (it was snowing at the time).  He waddled off when his toilet was
done, but the next morning I saw his tracks crossing the lawn and entering
the horse barn, where he had sampled some horse treats.  Such fun!

Holly Hungerford
Charlotte, Vt.