VTBIRD Archives

March 2007

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Allan Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:07:40 -0400
I don't know anything about the population dynamics of Barnacle Goose, but
Ross's Goose shows similar population trajectories to Snow Goose, with the
population showing exponential increases (~5,000 in the 1940's, to ~800,000
today).  So, although the birds are presumably off course in VT, the
probability of them showing up here might be substantially greater now,
given the massive increase in population size.  Maybe Barnacle Goose is
showing similar population trends in Europe?

Allan

At 02:37 PM 3/28/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>If this barnacle is suspect, then what about all the Ross's geese that
>have been accepted in VT. They too are way off-course and they are kept
>in captivity. What's sauce for the goose....
>
>Hector Galbraith PhD
>Galbraith Environmental Sciences LLC
>837 Camp Arden Rd., Dummerston, VT05301
>802 258 4836 (phone)

Allan M. Strong
University of Vermont
The Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources
347 Aiken Center
Burlington, VT 05405
802-656-2910