VTBIRD Archives

March 2007

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Bruce MacPherson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2007 19:36:55 EDT
Twenty-five birders enjoyed a terrific GMAS field trip at the Colchester
Causeway this morning. Calm waters and warm temperatures made for great conditions
to observe the ducks and geese. Large rafts of Greater and Lesser Scaup
filled the lake side of the Causeway, while a mixed bag of Ring-necked Ducks,
Common Goldeneye, Common Mergansers, and Scaup were concentrated in the open water
of Mallett's Bay. We saw a few Canada Geese and a single flock of Snow Geese
headed north. Later in the day I returned to this spot to get a better look at
the ducks on theBay side with the sun at my back. No rarities, but there were
hundreds of Ring-necked Ducks there (258 to be exact). A single pair of
American Wigeons dropped in, too. Walking out to the Causeway I saw my first Song
Sparrows and Cedar Waxwings of the season.

All-in-all a most satisfactory day of birding.

Bruce MacPherson
South Burlington