Re: directions to H Waterfalls Roost

Clifford Seifer <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:57:47 -0400

For Ruth and others who may have trouble with directions to the bluff
over looking the waterfowl roost that have been posted in the past,
here are more detailed instructions...

Coming from Brattleboro on 119, make a sharp right onto River Rd.
This is 6.7 miles from the bridge and there is a sign pointing down
River Rd for the police station.

Follow River Rd to the end.  Do not bear right onto Stage Rd when it
bears right.  It is about 8 tenths of a mile to the end.  On the right
where the road ends is a gate for the shooting range where you can
park.

Walk under the railroad trestle towards the shooting range.  You
eventually want to get onto the railbed heading north, away from your
car. The easiest way to do this is to go up onto the shooting range
where you have some nice views of the river and then scramble down the
bank opposite the river to the railbed.

Heading North along the railbed, watch for a gate on your left after
about 2 tenths of a mile.  There's a gate on the right too.  This is
sort of a cross roads.  (I mention this because there is a trail that
breaks off the railbed to the left prior to the gate and it confused
me my first time out.  That trail will get you there in a round about
way but you really want to keep going til you get to the gate on your
left.)

Anyway, take the left at the gate and follow that road for maybe
another 8 tenths of a mile.  You really can't miss the bluff at this
point as this road leads you right out onto it.

As the ice receeds, the birds sitting on it are getting closer and
closer to the New Hampshire bank but, as others have mentioned, a
scope is really needed.  As I have learned, a bad scope is better than
no scope at all and the birds are now close enough to the New
Hampshire side that a bad scope does the job quite nicely.

-- Cliff Seifer
Keene NH