]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Home

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE  April 2007

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE April 2007

Re: Fwd: SF Chron, LA Times, others: Mor e buzz on 'colony collapse disorder'

Richard Levins <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 29 Apr 2007 07:25:23 -0400

Patho-physiological and social explanations are not incompatible. An epidemic needs pathogens, vunerability ofpopulations, means of spread. The parameters of epidemics come a from a broader context, which may indeed be the political economy of bee keeping or environmental change including habitats for bees and their nutrition.This is a worthwhile hypothesis to offset the molecular reductionism that is so prevalent.  So if recent developments in (capitalist) societies  do create the context, the pathways should be traced out.There is no need for sneers when somebody focuses on a different link in the causal chain from our own favorite one. Dick

>>> "José F. Morales" <[log in to unmask]> 4/28/2007 8:13 AM >>>
Yes Michael,

Your warning that the ASL will relate the bee
thing to capitalism is classic....ideology leads
facts, not facts lead ideology.  Maybe a simple
formula, probably too simple, but it works a lot.
It was similar in the discussion we had about
causes of cancer in our society.  Must be
pollution caused by capitalists!  That its
complicated and that the phenom may even in part
be a by product of mutation load from oxygen
metabolism is not even probably known by the ASL.
What gets me on this list is the observation of
how intransigent they are in the face of data.
Well, must be a peculiar cognitive phenom in
humans with religion, politics etc.

Jose

>While Jonathan et al may or may not turn out to
>be right in their suspicions about the cause of
>this, let's remember that insisting on a
>capitalist-related cause in the face of little
>real data can compromise the credibility of
>progressives if it turns out to be wrong.
>
>MB

Jose Morales Ph.D.