Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Home

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE  April 2007

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE April 2007

[SPAM?:#] NoSpray Newz: NYC settles anti-pesticides lawsuit brought by No Spray Coalition

Mitchel Cohen <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 28 Apr 2007 15:37:20 -0400

No Spray Coalition
www.nospray.org
"Fighting Against Pesticides since 1999"

NOTE NEW ADDRESS:
PO Box 739
Peck Slip Station
NYC, NY 10272-0739

TERRIFIC ANTI-PESTICIDES VICTORY:
NYC SETTLES 7-YEAR OLD LAWSUIT WITH NO SPRAY COALITION, ET. AL.

City admits that pesticides may remain in the
environment beyond their intended purpose and may cause adverse health effects

For seven years, the No Spray Coalition and other
environmental groups have battled the City of New
York in Federal Court in opposition to the
Giuliani administration's massive and
indiscriminate spraying of toxic pesticides, including Malathion.

On April 12, a federal judge signed a settlement
agreement in which New York City admits that the
pesticides sprayed may indeed be dangerous to
human health as well as to the natural environment.

The settlement agreement states that, contrary to
the City's prior statements, pesticides

- may remain in the environment beyond their intended purpose
- cause adverse health effects
- kill mosquitoes' natural predators
- increase mosquito resistance to the sprays, and
- are not presently approved for direct application to waterways.

This settlement agreement is a tremendous victory
for health advocates and a rebuff to the
anti-environmental polices of former Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

Thousands of New Yorkers were made seriously sick
by the spraying. A number of members of the No
Spray Coalition, including several of the
plaintiffs, died from pesticide-related
illnesses. Many suffer from Multiple Chemical
Sensitivities (MCS) or Asthma caused or
exacerbated by the spraying. We are very glad
that the new City administration has to some
degree acknowledged that pesticides are extremely
dangerous to human health. They need to be
rejected as a way of killing mosquitoes.

In particular, the use of insect repellents
containing DEET should never be used, especially on children.

The settlement agreement stipulates that the City
meet with the Coalition for two 3-hour sessions.
We will be discussing that and other concerns with the City when we meet.

One plaintiff in the lawsuit, artist Robert
Lederman, notes that in 1999 and 2000 then-Mayor
Rudolph Giuliani and other City officials claimed
that the spraying was "safe" and was used as "a
last resort" in its effort to kill mosquitoes
said to be vectors for West Nile encephalitis.

"This agreement represents the latest rebuff to
the notion that Giuliani was a good Mayor,"
Lederman said. "In 1999 and 2000, while
repeatedly spraying the population of NY with
pesticides derived from Nazi-era nerve gasses,
Giuliani appeared in daily press conferences
claiming that the chemicals were completely
harmless. The City of NY has now admitted that
these chemicals are harmful, that they persist in
the environment and that much more caution will
have to be used if they decide to ever spray them again."

Attorneys for the No Spray Coalition -- Joel
Kupferman, (NY Environmental Law and Justice
Project, and National Lawyers Guild), and Karl
Coplan and Daniel Estrin (PACE Environmental
Litigation Clinic), announced that as part of the
settlement the City agreed to pay $80,000 to five
grassroots environmental and wildlife
rehabilitation groups and meet with the
plaintiffs in several sessions to review an
extensive list of concerns that the Coalition
provided. The Plaintiffs are not permitted, under
the terms of the Clean Water Act, to receive a monetary settlement themselves.

The resolution of the lawsuit begins a new phase
in our activities. In our letter of concerns to
the City, which is officially attached to the
lawsuit settlement and available for reading on
our website, the No Spray Coalition seeks to win
official approval for a proposed "Community Health and Environment Council."

Should the City approve this new Council, it would

- make recommendations on environmental health
impacts of pesticide use and alternatives
- review and propose alternative, nontoxic control of mosquitoes.
- critique the city's official mosquito control plan
- offer new plans to replace adulticides with safe materials
- assess agents chosen with regard to interaction
with all toxins in our living environment.

There is currently no testing of chemical or
biological agents in combination, and these
chemicals often have synergistic or cumulative
impacts on health and the environment that fall
below the officially designated danger zone when examined separately.

While we hope that the City would approve the
proposal to establish the Community Health and
Environmental Council, we recognize that it will
probably take another prolonged struggle to
achieve that, the next step in our fight to make
the City accountable environmentally and
health-wise to the people subjected to these toxins.

We expect that the terms of the Settlement
Agreement will be especially helpful to those
fighting against pesticide spraying elsewhere.
Indeed, we consulted with many organizations not
only in the U.S. but in Canada and Mexico as
well, and we negotiated clauses in the Agreement
with the needs of other locales in mind.

The No Spray Coalition initially attempted to get
a Temporary Injunction to stop the city from
massive spraying of pesticides on July 20th,
2000. Over two days in a federal courtroom in
Manhattan, expert witnesses provided riveting
testimony concerning the dangers of
organophosphate and pyrethroid pesticides to
public health and to the environment, as well as
to the reckless nature in which the spraying was
conducted. One witness had videotaped the spray
trucks as they drove down 125th Street in Harlem
spraying kids and pregnant women with pesticides;
after the judge permitted this to be shown in
court, it was aired on all the TV news channels.
The lawsuit eventually was narrowed to the City's
violations of the Clean Water Act, because
citizens cannot sue over FIFRA; it went through
various stages up to the Court of Appeals and is
now ending, after seven years, with this settlement between the parties.

The plaintiffs in the lawsuit were:

No Spray Coalition
National Coalition Against the Misuse of Pesticides
Disabled in Action
Save Organic Standards - New York (by its president, Howard Brandstein)
Valerie Sheppard (Rest In Peace, Valerie!)
Mitchel Cohen
Robert Lederman
Eva Yaa Asantewaa.

Please go to website for full text of Settlement
Agreement. (And please be patient with us. If it
is not up on the website by the time you get there, it will be there shortly.)

CLICK HERE TO MAKE A MUCH NEEDED DONATION ON SECURE SERVER
VIA CREDIT CARD OR PAYPAL
http://tinyurl.com/2hpn9x or go to
www.nospray.org and click on "Make a Donation" in the top left-hand corner.

website: www.nospray.org
hotline: 718-670-7110
email: [log in to unmask]
listserve: [log in to unmask] (you
are welcome to join, share your knowledge and gain new insights)

Do You See What I See?
Photographer Laurie Tümer shows the hidden paths of pesticides

By Karin Kloosterman

In a segment last fall, Good Morning America
simulated pesticide exposure in a New York City
classroom. Using a powder visible only under
black light, the program showed how far chemicals
could spread through an activity as simple as child's play.

The eye-opening exercise wasn't news to Laurie
Tümer. The photographer has been making images
that expose the presence of synthetic pesticides
since 1998, when she suffered near-fatal
poisoning after her New Mexico home was sprayed.
While recovering, Tümer discovered a muse in the
work of Richard Fenske, an environmental
scientist at the University of Washington. Fenske
uses fluorescent tracer dyes and ultraviolet
light to demonstrate how pesticides can spread to
agricultural workers' skin, even when protective gear is worn.

By spraying tracers on her shoes and walking
through her garden, or superimposing dyes onto
landscape-scale canvases, Tümer uses a similar
technique to illustrate how and where pesticides
travel. The result of her work, a growing
collection she calls "Glowing Evidence," is at
once startling and stunning -- she compares the
patterns in it to constellations. Critics who've
seen her images exhibited in Santa Fe have called
them eerie, compelling, ingenious, and haunting.

Tümer's 25-year photographic career, including a
current collaboration with a blind poet, has
focused on "seeing the invisible," and was
featured in a 2003 documentary of that name. But
as work like hers becomes more visible, she says
so-called political art is really nothing new. In
fact, she traces her work to cave drawings. Like
that ancient art form, Tümer says, her
photographs are a forum for processing
information, conveying dismay, and warning others.

Go to
http://www.grist.org/advice/books/2005/12/01/kloosterman/index.html?source=friend
to see a gallery of Tümer's photographs.

- - - - - - - - - -
Karin Kloosterman, a freelance journalist and
former entomologist from Canada, is currently
based in Tel Aviv as a writer for Israel's
Jerusalem Post. She has also contributed to
Canada's National Post and National Geographic,
and can write on topics from bugs to Bedouins.

October, 2006 (Adapted from Rachel’s Health and
Democracy News, # 871, Sept. 7, 2006)

HAZARDOUS CHEMICALS IN SYNTHETIC TURF

by William Crain and Junfeng Zhang

A new generation of synthetic turf is becoming
popular in the U.S. The new brands are springier
than the old AstroTurf and feel more like real
grass. New York City is so attracted to the new
synthetic turf that it is installing it in 79
parks, often substituting it for natural soil and grass. (1)

However, the new artificial grass raises health
concerns. In particular, most brands include
recycled rubber pellets that could contain
harmful chemicals. What’s more, we have observed
that on many New York City fields, the rubber
pellets are commonly present on the surface. When
one of us (William Crain) was picking up some
pellets by hand, a boy told him that after
playing in the park, he finds the pellets in his
shoes at home at night. Because the rubber
pellets are much more accessible to children and
athletes than we had supposed, we decided to
analyze a sample for two possible sets of
toxicants­polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and toxic metals.

We collected our first sample from a new A-Turf
surface in Manhattan’s Riverside Park in May,
2006. To gain information on the reliability of
our results, we gathered a second sample in June,
2006 from a different part of the park.

The PAHs were extracted in a Soxhlet apparatus
with organic solvents. The metals were extracted
by means of nitric acid with the aid of a
high-efficiency microwave oven (Marsx Microwave).
Both methods were used to estimate the maximum
amounts of the chemicals contained in the bulk
material (rubber pellets). The analyses were
conducted at the Environmental and Occupational
Health Sciences Institute of Rutgers University.

The PAH results for our first sample are listed
as Sample 1 in Table 1, below. As the table
shows, six PAHs exceeded the concentration levels
that the New York State Department of
Environmental Conservation (DEC) considers
sufficiently hazardous to public health to
require their removal from contaminated soil
sites. (2) It is likely that all six PAHs are carcinogenic to humans. (3)

The PAH results for Sample 2 are also listed in
the table. Although the concentration levels in
Samples 1 and 2 varied somewhat, the results for
Sample 2 replicated the finding that the
concentration levels of the six PAHs are above
the DEC’s tolerable levels for soil.

Table 1. Concentrations of PAHs (ppm*)

Sample 1 Sample 2 DEC
Turf Turf Contaminated
Rubber Pellets Rubber Pellets Soil Limits

Benzo(a)anthracene 1.23 1.26 1.0

Chrysene 1.32 7.55 1.0

Benzo(b)fluoranthene 3.39 2.19 1.0

Benzo(a)pyrene 8.58 3.56 1.0

Benzo(k)fluoranthene 7.29 1.78 0.8

Dibenzo(a,h)anthracene 3.52 1.55 0.33

                * ppm = parts per million

The analyses also revealed levels of zinc in both
samples that exceed the DEC’s tolerable levels.
Lead and arsenic also were present, and many
scientists believe that these metals should not
be introduced into the environment at all.

We want to emphasize that the findings are
preliminary. PAHs in rubber might not act the
same way as in soil, and we do not yet have
information on the ease with which the PAHs in
these rubber particles might be absorbed by
children or adults­by ingestion, inhalation, or
absorption through the skin. However, the
findings are worrisome. Until more is known, it
wouldn’t be prudent to install the synthetic turf in any more parks.

We have informed the New York City Parks
Department of our findings, but as far as we
know, the Parks Department has not altered its
plans to continue the installation of synthetic turf in numerous parks.