BLVU in VT

hector galbraith <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Apr 2007 06:57:45 -0400

VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

It is my understanding that there are now about 10 reports of BLVU that
have been accepted or that are under review by the VT Bird Records
Committee. These go back to the late 19th century. However about half of
the sightings have occurred in the last two decades. So BLVU are now
sighted with increasings frequency. Thus far this year, there have been
reports of three birds (from Vernon and Williston). Many of the recent
sightings have been from the Connecticut River corridor. This is to be
expected since they are expanding their range northward up the
Massachusetts part of the river.

Another interesting factor is that the historical records usually
occurred in late summer or fall. More recently, most of the sightings
have been from spring and early summer. Thus far, their northernmost
breeding record is, I believe, in NJ, or maybe NY.

The interesting question that I have always had about the BLVU range
expansion is why have they spread northward from Texas and Florida to as
far as VT, yet on the other side of the country they remain confined to
the area around Nogales in southern AZ? Why have they not similarly
expanded up the west coast?

Hector Galbraith PhD
Galbraith Environmental Sciences LLC
837 Camp Arden Rd., Dummerston, VT05301