]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

COMMUNET Home

COMMUNET  April 2007, Week 2

COMMUNET April 2007, Week 2

the pollution of public space [a CITS Media Watch Alert]

"W. Curtiss Priest" <[log in to unmask]>

Community and Civic Network discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:46:31 -0400

Dear Media-interested folk,

Some of us dread some of the ways that new technology
and ensuing new media is screwing up an already screwed
up society.

At a teacher education conference (SITE, San Antonio) I
chatted with a very bright consultant and mentioned how
with cell phones and iPods, more and more people are
staring at the floor, in public spaces.  I said I considered
this the destruction of public spaces; turning public space
into private space.

The consultant replied that one reason people are doing this
is they have become afraid of the world -- they are hiding.
Oh, I said, "this is like the mania of SUV's" -- folk watched
Hummers in the Gulf War, became afraid, and now had to drive
a vehicle that "protects" them from the world (even though
they continue to roll over).

But, highway accident statistics show that despite ever
increasing trip-miles, the number of fatalities on the
roads has gradually gone down over the last twenty years.
The result of thoughtful safety regulation implemented in
the '70s, we are actually safer on the road no matter what
tonnage we drive.

And crime?  If we look at the trends published by the
U.S. Department of Justice, crime did spike from about
1970 to 1995, but, today we are at a national homicide
rate that is almost as low (per 100,000) as in 1950.

Why?  Obvious.  We built hundreds of new prisons and taken
many off of the streets.

So, the teenager today, hiding with an iPod, is no more
likely to be in danger than in the 50's when public space
was actually public space.  I remember those years as a
time when it was a pleasure walking down the street ...
sociologically we typically determine, at 20 feet, if another
person is known to us, as we would certainly at least nod
to them.  Opposite sexes gained momentary eye contact,
increasing the pleasure of "being out."  In Italy, in 1968,
I came by train from Monaco to Genova.  Approaching the
station, the train paused for fifteen minutes outside of
a factory.  It was lunch time and I was fully amused to watch
five Italian men stand about fifty feet from the entrance.
A woman, nicely clad, would exit and ten eyes were glued to
her figure.  And, the men rotated as if on a turntable.  And,
once that woman was out of sight, they quickly rotated back.
I was reminded of this as I flew back from San Antonio and
overheard two women talking next to me.  They had both visited
Rome, and one woman said to the other, "and I was groped; have
you been?"  And the other said, "oh, yes, it is not as bad
if you travel south."  Of course, this behavior, at any time
in the US could get you arrested.  But, less overt, la main froid.

Whichever, I am dismayed when the wonderous circus of public space
becomes descecrated.  And I am helpless against this, as I am
helpless against the massive intrusion caused by illegal
mufflers where by young, often disenfranchised males, make
me only too well aware of their presence as they growl like
animals.  And one thousand watt sound systems shake windows
of every house that is passed.

I am not alone in these concerns.  Below from the March 17th, 2007
Letters to the Editor of the Boston Globe, two writers share
similar concerns.  Mr. Murphy says, "Music is losing its social
nature, and is becoming a symbol of antisocial behavior."  Ms.
Miller says, "[a]s the warm weather arrives, so will the pounding
bass of car stereos."

As for mufflers, Massachusetts makes it illegal for any car
to have other than "original equipment."  But, try to get
that enforced.  Almost all communities have laws against
"disturbing the peace" -- try to get that enforced.

Bose has a technological solution.  Rather than fix the
public space, Bose, for $300, sells sound canceling headphones.
Wonderful.  I should cut out the sounds of/from all public space.
And we know that, as naturally social creatures, that isolation
is used in prisons as a form of punishment.  So, with Bose, I
must pay $300 to be so punished.

Something is seriously wrong with a society that continually
pollutes public space.  And, the pollution is of two forms,
1.)  the overabundance of noise, and 2.)  the underabundance
of the lovely sounds of public people engaging each other.

W. Curtiss Priest, Editor
CITS Media Watch

["fair use," "teachable moment," "archival," Section 107(a), 1976
Copyright Act and 1998 Digital Millennium Act]

Face it, we're addicted to tunes March 17, 2007 THANK YOU for the
March 14 article "Ever lower fidelity: Many listeners are trading
quality for convenience" (Page A1). The Globe has produced interesting
data on the low quality of MP3-type audio files . The fact is,
whatever form of music one is listening to requires a compromise; even
in the concert hall the sound isn't perfect. But I am focused on the
quote from Johann Frank: "I need to have music with me at all times."
Music is losing its social nature, and is becoming a symbol of
antisocial behavior. I have music with me at all times because, as
with books and films, the music I listen to stays with me even when it
isn't being played. If one needs to be listening constantly, then it
would appear that none of it is durable. This is very much a sign of
the times, though, isn't it? We settle for bad music just as we settle
for bad presidents, bad food, and bad lovers. "I need to have music
with me at all times." Why? Because otherwise there would be those
frightening empty spaces of silence that one would have to fill in
some other way, such as thinking on these things. KENNY MURPHY
Cambridge

NO MATTER what the quality of the sound may be for digital
music listeners, there is one advantage for the rest of us that should
not be overlooked: The listeners are wearing ear buds and not
involving the rest of the world in their music selections. As the warm
weather arrives, so will the pounding bass of car stereos. The quality
of sound -- or life -- doesn't matter to the drivers inflicting the
noise on their neighbors.  When will technology save us from
this problem?

JACKIE MILLER
Woburn

--

	   W. Curtiss Priest, Director, CITS
   Research Affiliate, Comparative Media Studies, MIT