]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  April 2007, Week 4

MEDLIB-L April 2007, Week 4

FW: Question about print subscriptions-Summary-LONG

"Harris, Tonia O." <[log in to unmask]>

Harris, Tonia O.

Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:56:35 -0400

Hi Medlibbers,

I heard from many of you on this issue and the replies are different,
but they give me a lot to think about in the coming months.  I will cut
out binding first though and probably toss print older than 10 years.

Tonia Harris, MLIS
Manager of Library Services
Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System
101 East Wood St.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)560-6770
(864)560-6791 fax

Having kept both print and online subscriptions for a couple of years,
and watching the usage stats for online go up and print go down even
when I had both, that eased my anxiety considerably.
I do more INTERNAL document delivery now - people know they can just ask
me and I will email them an article, and they don't have to figure out
which system it's in, how to download, etc.  My ILLs have not
appreciably changed much either.  I "ran parallel" for a couple of
years, and then took the plunge.  We have a total of about 400 journal
subscriptions, and 16 of them are print.  There are a handful that I
receive print copies for because we have to order the print to get the
online access, and I (yes!) throw away the print copy.  I have virtually
nothing more than 10 years old (usage stats showed 90% of my usage was <
10 yrs old).  I have never looked back and have never been sorry!
We're a 312 bed standalone community hospital, level II trauma center,
no teaching programs.
We have been in the electronic journal "biz" since the nineties.  We now
have over 1,000 e-jnls and 65 print.  We keep at least two print in each
specialty as well as the basic jnls--NEJM, JAMA, etc.  Our ILLs have
gone down as well.
We did a study several years ago and discovered that 95% of usage of our
print collection was the current five years and it dropped drastically
from that point back.  We now keep only ten years on the shelves.
We are a teaching hospital with 15+ residency programs.
now have electronic access to them through MDConsult.  So far I have not
had any complaints.
We are a 408-bed community teaching hospital with 2 Residency programs
of our own and several others that rotate here.
I would say you only need maybe half of those in print, esp if
you have them all in electronic versions.  Maybe even less.  The
residents are used to getting stuff online from their schools.  The
docs don't care where it comes from, mostly, as long as you deliver it
to them, and more and more of them will accept things via email.  If
your hospital has ubiquitous internet, and most nurses have access,
they probably will prefer electronic delivery, as well.  You might
consider just keeping some core journals, nejm, jama, bmj, annals of
int med, archives of intern med. ajn, nursing made incredibly easy,
medicne on  the net, and any newsletters you get, in print.  Add some
nursing titles if you cut a good many of the medical journals in print,
to build up your nursing patronage.  As long as they are easily
accessible in the library without undue hoops to jump through, many
people prefer the electronic any more. If you have a good many nurses
working on bachelor's or master's,  you might want to keep back issues
of nursing journals.  That level of degrees, they do go back more than 5
years sometimes in researching their projects and
assignments.  I would say for the medical journals, the 10 yrs you have
is good, and just ILL older articles. If you are only keeping 10 yrs,
quit paying for binding.  Use Princeton files and call it good.  Use
that money for other things.  Maybe videos or dvd's or subscriptions to
other
multimedia products.   Re purpose your space to include space for
collaborative work.  Create a station for reviewing multimedia items.
Read up on Learning Commons or Information Commons in the Library
Literature, and use your freed up space for other things.  Add a
scanner, a color printer (for special projects.)  A laminator.  Have
moveable furniture so your patrons can use space for team work and
group work.   Add some white boards.  Create a Library Lounge.
Encourage
folks to bring their lunches to the library and have working library
lunches.  Put in a tv for current events and the weather channel (keep
on mute).  If you radically reduce the number of print subs, you will
need to add more computers so folks will not have to wait in line for
access.  Arrange them in such a way you can use the computer area as a
teaching area or computer classroom when necessary.  Flexibility in
space is the thing. Consult w the influential folks in the various depts
prior to making
severe cuts in print journals.  Keep  the titles that they take issue
with, and keep usage stats.  Then you will have some hard data to use
when you try to cut again. Make sure you have a plan for all the money
saved.  Don't just cut and say look we saved $8000.00.  Present your
plan for improved services
and suggest the print cuts to fund your plan. That might also make the
print cuts easier for some of the older folks to swallow.   Also all the
time
and $ spent on binding can be used to improve services.  Take a cart
out to the floors.  Spend more time up on the floors.  Improve document
delivery turn around.  There are many things you can do with the time.
And the money! If you have less print, you may have less requests for
ILL's, unless
your licenses allow you to provide ILL's from your electronic
subscriptions.  If this is a big source of income, that is another
issue.  But it's hard to imagine that ILL income would fund a
significant number of subscriptions....
This would be the time to rethink your whole model of service.
Several other thoughts:
Put a coffeemaker in the library and offer free coffee.  Here, we didn't
have space for one of the regular, large, commercial and "approved"
machines, so we got one that has a thermal carafe, so the coffee is not
left on a warm burner.  That passed the safety inspection when we
explained there was no "live" burner. Also, you might want to consider
making the print cuts over several years, so it doesn't seem so radical.
Also you can implement your new service plan and space plans in
increments that way, as the money and/or space is freed up. When admin
sees such a big hunk of money freed up, their eyes spin around, and you
might not get to have that whole hunk for your own purposes.
It depends on how you present it, and who you have backing you up.  If
the library committee backs you up on your new plan, then it might be
easier to trade the whole hunk of money for your new purposes.  There
might be some savings that you would see year after year, after your
first year of spending  the savings on say, comfortable seating, or
whatever. You will be surprised what you can do with a smallish space,
if you think differently about it, and aim for that flexibility.
Wireless access is also a big plus for libraries.
over the past several years, and we now have around 200.  This year we
are facing even bigger budget cuts, so we're planning on cutting back
even more on the print.  We do have access to a lot of online journals
via Ebsco databases, Ovid, MDConsult, etc.  It will be interesting to
see what happens when we do major cuts for next year.  So far, I have to
say that I have never regretted cancelling any of the print titles that
I have cancelled.  According to our online stats, usage is way up, so I
don't think any of our users have missed the print copies, either.
We have not significantly cut journals as many of our folks prefer
print. We keep a tally of print journals used as we always did and on
which basis we cut or renew journals every year. Because everyone seems
to be jumping on the e-journal bandwagon, and we didn't want to be left
behind if our patrons really preferred electronic to print we did a
study of our journals and discovered some very interesting facts....We
have about 325 journal subscriptions. And nearly 15% of our journals are
NOT available on line.  Another 35% are available only if we keep the
print. (That's half of our journals!)  About 35% are available only
through aggregators (which means we take a chance on a journal not being
available if the publishers withdraw and also that we have to subscribe
to journals we neither want or need.)  The last 15% are available only
on line. You might want to take a look at your journals to see what
percentage of your journals are online without any strings attached.
That may help you make a decision.  Certainly there might be additional
journals that we could have online, but sometimes the cost is
prohibitive.  One has to weigh all this in making a decision.
more for non-micro titles, and less for titles we get online.  These
days, a library with good networking pals and a goodly number of online
subscriptions simply does not need extensive print files.  Considering
the labor costs involved in preparing and paying for the binding order
and the space the bound journals still take up, it will probably be
cheaper and just as space efficient to chuck most print titles after 3
years and rely on ILL and online back issues.  Dropping most binding
will save oodles of staff time, and perhaps enough money to expand your
online services.
If you currently have online access to a journal, you can consider not
renewing this tile for next year, just stick with the full text, but
keep what you have in print on the shelves.    This way you will save on
the bindery, and be able to spent the money to buy more full text.  The
full text, preferably networked within the organization, is the way to
go.  Just make sure that Administration understands that this is a
change that is taken place at most hospital libraries, and that there
has to be a commitment to the full text, not just one year "on" an one
year "off". It is a permanent change in practice.
We pretty much stopped any print that was available free online or as
part of MDConsult.  It can be trouble, as in when Pediatrics was dropped
from MDConsult and left us with a gap of a couple years after we
renewed.  But, you also have to realize Circulation, CA: a cancer
journal for clinicians, American Family Physician, Can Med Assoc J, etc.
are now free online.  It does take work to keep a usage study---and we
did it every third year three times---and we probably need to do it
again, but if you do one all year, you will see what is used for
ILL/EDD, table of contents, search results, drop in visitors/users,
requests, etc.  QuickDoc gives you the borrow and loan data, of course,
but your real concern is your hospital family of users. We always
decided we needed to do a yearlong study because not two or three months
of the year were "typical."  A title can go unused for most of the year,
only to be used a dozen times as publishing or presentation or research
or CE work was done.  However, we did decide after the first of the
three usage studies to stop Blood, for example, costing $500 way back
then for 5 uses.  Better to pay NLM $9 forty times and still save money!
However, you have to make sure your supervisors and administrators know
you are being penny wise and pound wise, too.
Our hospital is similar in size to yours. We subscribe to about the same
# of journals. Our patrons & physicians prefer them in print, so we
continue to have print on our shelves. We have been fortunate to have a
storage facility where our journals pre 2000 reside. When I need them,
the storage company has a runner 2-3 times a day. Our medical records
dept also uses this company, so it's not just the library they have to
deliver or pick up to & from. We have online access to some of the print
journals, but not all have free access anymore. If it's not free, we
don't subscribe to the online access, only print. We subscribe thru
Ebsco, so many of their titles are online. Our state library group also
has a couple databases with fulltext availability to some titles.