]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  April 2007, Week 4

MEDLIB-L April 2007, Week 4

Summarizing Justification for hiring a full-time librarian

Mandy Bayer <[log in to unmask]>

Mandy Bayer <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Apr 2007 08:08:34 -0400

It was brought to my attention that I could not send attachments. Please
see the body of this email.

Good morning,

Thank you so very much for all of your help with answering: the
justification of hiring a full-time librarian.

Please see below for a summarized version that many of you asked for.

This is the same list that I gave to my supervisor. She asked for
bullet
points and with your help, I gave her 8 pages of bullet points to
bring
in front of the committee. Keep your fingers crossed. I did not
include
your names and I hope that this is okay with you.

Mandy Bayer :)

Why we need to hire a full-time librarian now…A summarized list from
Medical Librarians
(from listservs: Medlib-L, Southern Chapter, GaIN, and GHSLA)

Full-Time vs. Part-Time (even two part-time positions)

·	It always easier to recruit a full time person.  The pool of
available librarians is much larger for full time positions.  By
recruiting for a full time position now, the administration is more
likely to get someone who will stay through 2009 when the new libraries
are scheduled to open.  A part-time librarian would tend to be on the
lookout for a full time position and possibly leave right when you are
needing continuity of leadership.

·	With a new library coming and AHEC responsibilities, I do not
see how a new person can juggle the roles. Actually, I'd recommend two
librarians and have a paraprofessional. During planning and move time,
the library manager cannot let AHEC/outreach interfere with primary
mission.

·	No way would I want to be a part-time librarian trying to build
a physical library, build a new collection, plan a move, plan new
library space while maintaining services, not to mention recruit right
before the move so that services are ready when you open!

·	If you bring someone in part time only, how are they (assuming
they are new to your particular organization) going to function in
learning a new job, making contacts within the system, etc. AND help
prepare for your 2 new libraries?

·	If you don’t hire a librarian, you will need to hire an
outside consultant. This will be more expensive.

When do we need to hire a full-time librarian?

·	Really just get someone in as soon as possible. Its organized
chaos and to wait is only going to make it worse. Despite all the best
planning there will be delays, issues and confusion. It would be much
better to have a person in place in advance to address these things from
the get go. They will know where things go, how things are to be set up
etc.

·	Yes, you need a full-time librarian now, and not later.

·	The Consumer Library at Northwestern Medical School hired a full
time Librarian before there were even plans drawn out, so that it was
done "right" from the bottom up.  It takes time, and a commitment.

·	If you are to stay as the full time person, and hire a AHEC
replacement, time is needed to train.  Time is needed to plan and train
at any rate.   Starting to plan and looking to hire toward the end of
2007 seems reasonable.

·	I reiterate the need to have a Librarian right now because
waiting till is just not an option.

·	When the university decided to build it's own library, the solo
librarian new she needed help in planning the library along with still
doing her day-to-day job.  So, I was the lucky librarian she was able to
hire.  I was hired about 18 months before we moved into the new library.
 I basically did the day-to-day stuff, while she worked on the budget,
which included personnel, books, journals, computers, equipment, etc.
Planning a construction and a move is a HUGE job.  You will absolutely
need a full time librarian to manage it all, especially if you are
expected to provide your regular library service during this time.

·	It is important to maintain continuity and have someone on board
during the entire process to deal with changes, problems, etc. so that
the fulltime librarian is aware of the history of the process and not
coming in "cold". Knowledge of the steps, personalities, issues that led
to the creation of a new library would be invaluable

What needs to be done to prepare for two new libraries?
Remember: All this has to be in addition to the daily operation of the
library.

·	Questions to ask before you plan
o	What will the clientele be for each of the two new libraries?
I.E.: Will only hospital staff be allowed to use the health sciences
library?  Will the public be allowed to circulate materials from either
facility?
o	How technology-intensive will these facilities be?
o	Are the spaces for the libraries already in place?
o	What will be the flow of decision-making about the facility?
What will be the role of the librarian?
o	What accreditation issues will you be responding to?
o	 How will the collection be split into 2 libraries and/or what
needs to be purchased for the consumer library collection before the
move?
o	Once you have a handle on these questions, then you can start to
define the size (number of physical volumes, computer workstations,
office space, seating, other shelving/display equipment, etc.).

·	Preparing for the Move
o	Collections have to be purged
o	New cataloging program implemented so everything needed to be
entered
o	Clean collection
·	Services have to be maintained
·	Processing and cataloging
·	Set up a website to let people know how they can access the
library services while the move is going on and let them know updates
about the move.

·	Moving
o	Take the books off the shelf in the order they are shelved
o	Put them in the transfer boxes in that same order
o	Label the boxes you put your books in accordingly
o	When you replace them, reverse the order
o	 It will make your life (or whoever has to unpack) MUCH easier!
o	Get a lot of help…have a librarian to figure out needs and to
tell the movers what goes where
o	You might need many movers: computers, shelving, furniture,
etc.

         ·  Planning a new library
·	Working with an architect and interior designer on specific
floor plan, details, etc.
o	I have found architects simply look at the angles and
measurements and not what the needs will be or how the library will be
used. This is the kind of thing a librarian knows/understands.
o	I would emphasize that the librarian really needs to be there to
work with the architects because no matter how good they are, few of
them design libraries-especially hospital libraries.  For example, they
have no idea that electric outlets where computers are should be
installed at desktop height instead of standard height so that if one
needs to unplug the computer to change it out to a new one, the
installed can get to the plug.  At standard height, they are impossible
to get to if there are cubbies and desks that fit into them.  (we made
that mistake so I know whereof I speak!)  There should also be extra
outlets (as many as you can get) for future growth.  They also have to
be aware of lighting so that people can read the top AND bottom shelves,
adequate weight bearing load in the floor, no water pipes (nor a
whirlpool tub for PT overhead as I had!). No MRI either!
·	Planning and assisting with set up of all the bookcases to be
sure they are in the proper place and set up correctly is a must
(Designers or Movers are NOT Librarians... to them if it looks good then
it's fine... but may not be functional in a Library)
·	Building Space
o	A librarian certainly needs to be included in the bldg/space
planning.  Too many people think you can discard the print collection
and just give people wired cubicles for e-access to everything.
·	IT support and technology quirks
o	Do you have e-resources dependent upon IP addresses?  Those will
most likely change when you move and you'll need to plan ahead on that
so there is little or no disruption.
·	Training staff, volunteers, etc.
·	Organizing library, office, files, etc
·	Create a mission and values statement based on the hospital's
plan, a strategic plan ( 5year plan) for the library itself, many
meetings with the architect, facilities department, library designer,
telephone people, IT department, department heads (to find out what they
perceived to be needed resources), library committee, medical education
folks, purchasing folks, etc.
·	Budget to create, additional journal titles to select and order,
databases to order and licenses to negotiate, computer access to be
planned (how many, where, and what on them).
·	Here there was also a lot of marketing to do because the library
had been so neglected that few people used it any more and there was a
perception that it was only for doctors.
·	Placement of materials, workroom storage, etc.
·	Ordering books, technical equipment, furniture
o	To build a proper collection that is balanced and solid, time
needs to be spent. It’s not just a matter of picking a list of titles
and ordering them. If you wait till the new space opens up there are
going to be many other things going on

Can you give me a rough Timeline?

o	Twenty years ago, I was hired to build a new library-nearly 2
years before it actually opened.  I met with the architect for the first
time after I had been there only about a week!

·	Meet with the architect as soon as you can. To properly get the
space set up I would give it 12 months before opening at a minimum.
Order the furniture and shelving as soon as you can (after the space is
set) and get them in place (this stuff can take forever to order and
arrive). You can then see how the flow will or won't work with what is
in place. We had to make changes after the library opened at it was a
real pain. Again the experience/knowledge of a librarian is key to all
of this. Then of course is the actual collection. Hopefully the person
hired will have some collection development experience so they can hit
the floor running. Set up accounts, get lists etc as well as developing
a budget. This may be a shock to the higher ups the first few times they
see the numbers. Break them in early on the cost I would say. Something
else to consider is the IT end of things. Make sure that the person
hired has a good relationship with the IT folks and that they are all on
the same page with how access/firewalls are set up.
·	There are many decisions that need to be made. We have been
meeting with our architects and designers for 2 years now and I don't
move in for another 12 months.  If the librarian does not have input
then the space will not be user-friendly for the staff and the patients.
We have had to fight for many of the things that we know will make our
space better for our families.  Designers many times only think about
the way it looks.

·	She also met regularly with the architect, project manager
starting about 2 years prior to moving in.  Of course, this was a whole
campus being built, so it was a BIG project.  At times meetings were as
much as weekly.
·	About 1 year prior to move in, we started getting information on
furniture and telephones.
·	About 9 months prior, I started figuring out how many linear
inches of shelf space we needed minimally right away, and how much we
would need for growth for the next five years (after five years, we'll
probably have to get remote storage for older stuff).  In addition to
moving our small collection, we purchased 20 years worth of about 900
journals from a hospital library that was closing.  So, we had to plan
how to merge our two collections.

·	About 5 months prior, we hired a technical services/web
librarian to redesign our website.  She also worked on ordering
books/journals and processing/cataloging them.

·	About 8 weeks prior to the move, I started meeting weekly with
the movers to develop a plan and coding system for the movers to know
where to shelve the books, since we couldn't rely on them to be able to
read medical titles and shelve in order.  Meetings also discussed the
method of moving, the number of book trucks they needed, etc. Also at
this time we started ordering new staff and public computers and
printers and scanners.

·

Any Special Needs for a Consumer Health Library?

o	Well, the librarian will have quite a job in front of her/him.
If you check the CAPHIS website for advice on setting up a Consumer
Health library there is quite a bit involved.
o	Decide on what cataloging system to use--medical, Dewey,
home-made, planetree
o	We had to have a different system since the Medical Library
would not let us set the circulation up like we needed.
o	Begin buying consumer health books ASAP.  Building a consumer
health collection is tricky partly because like a lot of non-medical
books they have small printings and go out of stock/print very quickly
if they are well-reviewed.  A year after they were released and reviewed
many of the best ones are unavailable for purchase.  So, you really need
to start ordering your books as soon as possible and continue buying
throughout the upcoming 18 months just to have much on your shelves at
all.
o	Planning the layout of the library.  This will probably need to
be done very quickly and should probably involve visiting some other
consumer health/medical libraries to get ideas.
o	Planning library services.  Actually this is quite time
consuming.  I had only 6 months to plan the addition of the consumer
health library to my medical library and it wasn't nearly enough time.
(And, we were closed with our collection in storage during that time.)
Our consumer health bookshelves were very empty and I'm still playing
catch-up.  Also you need to choose a consumer health database, choose a
journal collection, set up an account with Baker and Taylor or other
vendor of consumer books.  A lot of administrative decisions to be made.

o	Also, the librarian needs to contact public librarians in the
area and plan some joint projects/programs.  The librarian needs to meet
with others within the organization about the consumer health library to
get "buy-in".  She needs to be a member of the Patient Education team,
meet with the patient educators, explain the difference between consumer
health services and patient education services, and begin to build
relationships within the organization.
o	Plan special consumer health services, a schedule of programs
for the public, etc. etc.  Some programming can even start before she
has a library with programs at the area senior centers, public
libraries, etc. on finding reliable health sites on the internet, being
a savvy health consumer, etc.  She can start programming WITH other
hospital educators--for example, offer a program at the public library
on managing your medications (with a pharmacist from the hospital), show
some books that the public library owns on medications, show internet
sites on choosing the Medicare supplement, etc.  Or, a program with the
dietician from the hospital on adapting your favorite recipes to fit
your new diet with a presentation of cookbooks from the public library
collection.  Lots of joint and cooperative programming ahead of the
opening of the consumer health library that emphasizes use of both the
public library collections, online resources, hospital personnel and
services (any diabetes educators there?), outpatient services that the
hospital offers.  Synergy is good!
o	She might want to start recruiting volunteers.  Perhaps she'll
want to start a program where she develops notebooks of pamphlets on
certain topics which the volunteer can "round" with on the appropriate
floor taking orders for copies of the pamphlets which would then be
delivered to the patient's room.  Lots and lots of services that can be
planned and implemented even without a consumer health collection.

Other Thoughts:

o	Also, there will be a significantly higher workload than normal
for the librarian due to the planning of the new facilities.  My
experience with renovating our library was that it took a significant
amount of time to meet with the architects, project managers, and
contractors about numerous details.  I also had to develop timelines,
figure out logistics of moving the collection, develop communication
strategies to keep our users informed of the impending changes, etc.
There were many duties that I normally perform in my position that were
given minimal attention while I planned the renovation.  I don't imagine
that a one-person library such as yours will operate very efficiently
with a half-time librarian trying to provide quality information
services and handle all the duties of planning two new libraries.

·	I know that if I was one of the people in the hospital
administration who had made the commitment to build two new libraries, I
would certainly want to have a sufficient staffing level to ensure that
the planning was done well and that the quality of the library's
services to clinicians and patients does not suffer during the planning
phase.  Although more expensive, I think the administration would be
wise to make the investment in human resources now.  It will pay off in
the long run.

o	We recently moved to a new building and it takes a lot of time
to just to plan how to best move the collection even when you are very
familiar with the organization and have to squeeze the planning in with
all the other work you have to do.

Other Good Resources

Listservs:
CAPHIS (Consumer Health)
Med-Lib
Southern Chapter
GaIN (Georgia Interactive Network for Medical Information)
GHSLA (Georgia Health Sciences Library Association)

Websites:
CAPHIS (Consumer Health Library and Collection)
http://caphis.mlanet.org/ and
http://caphis.mlanet.org/resources/index.html and
http://caphis.mlanet.org/resources/index.html#coldev
MLA (Medical Librarian Association) http://mlanet.org
MLA - Vital Pathways for Hospital Librarians
http://mlanet.org/resources/vital/index.html
Southern Chapter: http://caphis.mlanet.org/resources/index.html#coldev

GaIN: http://gain.mercer.edu
GHSLA: http://www.ghsla.org/

Literature:

Colorado Council of Medical Librarians. A Guide to Talking With Your
Hospital Administrators. Pamphlet.
http://www.mlanet.org/pdf/resources/ccml_mla_talk_admin_0610.pdf

Colorado Council of Medical Librarians. Medical Librarians Raise the
Hospital Bottom Line. Pamphlet.
http://www.mlanet.org/pdf/resources/ccml_mla_admin_brochure_0610.doc

Colorado Council of Medical Librarians. Myths and Truths about Library
Services. PowerPoint. http://www.mlanet.org/resources/vital/index.html.

Identifying and communicating the contributions of library and
information services in hospitals and academic health sciences centers.
J Med Libr Assoc. 2004 Jan; 92(1):46-55.

The impact of consumer health information provided by libraries: the
Delaware experience. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1997 Jan;85(1):16-22.

Value of hospital libraries: the Fuld Campus study. J Med Libr Assoc.
2005 Oct;93(4):446-9.

Mandy Bayer, MA, MLIS
Outreach Medical Librarian
Foothills AHEC and Northeast Georgia Health System
743 Spring Street
Gainesville, GA 30501
770-538-7630

http://northeastgeorgiahospitallibrarian.blogspot.com/

The HIPAA Privacy Rule requires covered entities to safeguard certain Protected Health Information (PHI) related to a person's healthcare. Information being sent to you may include PHI, after appropriate consent, acknowledgment, or authorization from the patient or under circumstances that do not require patient authorization. You, the recipient, are obligated to maintain PHI in a safe and secure manner. You may not re-disclose this patient information without additional patient consent or as required by law. Unauthorized re-disclosure or failure to safeguard PHI could subject us, or you, to penalties described in federal (HIPAA) and state law. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and destroy the related message. Thanks for your help.