]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  April 2007, Week 4

MEDLIB-L April 2007, Week 4

Up to Date vs. DynaMed-SUMMARY-VERY LONG

"Marks, Lisa A" <[log in to unmask]>

Marks, Lisa A

Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:49:27 -0700

Here is a summary of the responses I received; it prints out 8 pages.  Thank you to all who did respond.

We have UP to Date CD rom version because institutional lic. is too expensive. Cd rom Version on a single computer is used all day long and every one likes it.  EBSCO Dyna free trisl did not produce any response but it's worth tring to find out.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
Up-To-Date is used extensively here.  We do not have DynaMed but I would compare it more to a Family Medicine EBM resource such as InfoPOEMS. I would go with Up-To-Date.  This is "the" database that is used the most of any of our online resources.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
I have trials on both right now and I am finding UTD is the one that is so effective.   The nice thing though about DynaMed is that the price includes remote access and most physicians today want that remote access.   UTD is cost prohibitive on the remote end and is more expensive overall for hospital site licenses.   UTD will give you lots of full text and reviews....DynaMed gives you more bullet points. Both are easy to use.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
My experience with reactions to Dynamed and UpToDate is that my library had access to Dynamed through the library's Intranet page, and we had one UpToDate stand-alone subscription. Although they did like Dynamed (weekly usage: approx 35 subjects searched; 21 residents, 30 med students, and 200 house physicians), I noticed that more and more people--mostly residents--would wait to use UpToDate. I decided to get a site trial for UpToDate, just to see how everyone would react. With a tiny, tiny budget, and the Director of the residency program as my advocate, we were able to convince administration that we needed a hospital-wide subscription, solely based on weekly usage. (something like 200 searches per week). Anyway, that's my experience with the two--I hope that helped!

***************************************************************************************************************************************
Most physicians consider UpToDate the "gold standard" of these systems -- and actually it was the first. It is hard to get them to even consider another product. We have UpToDate and our hospital averages about 500 searches a week.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
We're in the process of purchasing an evidence-based product as well.  So far, it seems like Up To Date has a better marketing strategy and they get residents used to the produc,t so that they request it at their hospitals once they're practicing.  It is not an evidence based tool, but they have many more subjects to view.

DynaMed is an evidenced-based product but it has less searchable subjects (terms).  DynaMed is fixing to expand soon and it will have a much broader scope within a year.  I've attached a slide that I got from our EBSCO rep. so obviously it's biased, but after using both I think DynaMed is the way we're going to go.  Our medical executive board is going to vote on it next month.  Please share your results (summary) with the group, as I would be interested in seeing what others say.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
Our physicians only want UpToDate - they say that UTD is easy to use

***************************************************************************************************************************************
My hospital went for DynaMed (yet to be approved). For us, since we never had such a service and our doctors do a wide variety of medicine. Also, most, though I expect it will decrease, of the doctors are not as computer literate as many would think.  DynaMed has the ability for remote login with CME's, institution-wide CME's, totally evidence-based, updated daily, used on the PDA's, and was $6,000 less for our hospital than Up-to-Date. DynaMed goes by number of staffed beds, Up-To-Date goes by Inpatient/Outpatient usage x 700.  The customer service from DynaMed is fantastic.  I had trouble getting a hold of a sales rep at Up-To-Date when deciding which one to trial.

I do have Doctors who have their own subscription to Up-To-Date.  When I tell them about the CME's, and the remote logins and the standard about what goes into the database, they seem to be satisfied.  I even told them there is nothing stopping them from using both systems and getting CME's from both.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
We demo-ed DynaMed here two years ago and my residents, students and physicians didn't like it.  They found a lot of the information on it incomplete or not fleshed out.  They LOVE UpToDate and probably at this point won't consider anything else.  We just bought the networked version this past year.  Going from one stand-alone computer with UpToDate in the Library  (with people standing in line to use it)  to the to the networked version.   It can be accessed through our intranet by anyone in the hospital, clinics and medical offices.  Usage is increasing weekly as people outside of medicine are discovering its worth. It's my most popular "electronic resource."  Price-wise, I do think DynaMed is a lot cheaper than UpToDate.

I am in the midst of doing the UpToDate renewal here... don't know what the new pricing scheme will bring and am very concerned that it will price us out of the running. So maybe I should look at DynaMed again. It took a lot of doing to bring UpToDate here.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
We have demoed Dynamed several times and our folks do not really like it.  It has the usual clunky Ebsco search interface;  however, I believe that Ebsco has been working on this.  The thing to remember is that Dynamed is pretty much family medicine/internal medicine focused while UTD does have info for other specialties.  Frankly I'm not a fan of either one because I truly believe that physicians use these products to the exclusion of the literature.  They want to be spoon-fed and I don't believe that medicine should be practiced that way.  That said, these products do have their place.  We just did a survey on what tools our people are using for patient care an UTD is the overwhelming favorite.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
I just finished a DynaMed trial.    We have two UTD  CD-ROM subscriptions.  I think I am about to suggest we drop one of two UTD CD-ROMs, leaving one subscription of UTD in the library.  And that we pick up DynaMed on the intranet.

DynaMed is far briefer than UTD.  DynaMed is evidence-based, so you will not find everything you would expect on it.   Some areas you might expect to see completed on DynaMed are not completed.  That is because, I believe, evidence-based articles for all medical topics have not been completed.

DynaMed has some pretty good on-line patient education materials in it.   Quite a few, really, which kind of sweetens the deal.  On the other hand, it seems to lack a cross-reference structure behind the search engine.    If you do not hit your topic cleanly on the first search term, you must enter alternatives from your own mental cross-reference list.   There is no explicit or transparent cross- reference structure that I could discern.

I think DynaMed is useful to physicians, nurses and for the librarian.  Whether it is useful enough for its price may be another matter.  I'm still on the fence, frankly, and am trying to get endorsements from physicians here and from librarians.    If I had to choose either UTD or DynaMed, at this point it would be UTD.  DynaMed I would say is worth having now as a supplementary source, especially because it is evidence-based and because of the patient education components.   I would predict it will be increasingly helpful to the medical librarians in two areas -- 1.) Provision of EBM information and patient education information, and 2.) as a lever to use against  the very high price of UTD.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
We have UpToDate and are trialing DynaMed.  UpToDate is heavily used and very popular.  People would complain if it went away even if a so called better product was acquired in its place.  I don't know what people think about DynaMed yet.  I don't think there has been negative feedback.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
We have had onsite access to UTD for over 5 years; it receives about 70% of our database usage each month (8500 logins), and is hugely popular with physicians and residents.  We launched DynaMed Fall 2006 as a lower cost option for our 80+ off-site practices, remote usage, and off-campus students.  It has been slow to catch on due to the popularity of other resources, but it is filling a valuable niche.  We have had both positive and negative comments - particularly when compared with UTD which is far more comprehensive and has a long history of being promoted to the physician.  the formats differ which has caused comment.  We stress that DynaMed is evidence based and content is being added weekly.  We will continue to monitor and hope that UTD finds a more realistic business plan and pricing for remote access (not likely...)

***************************************************************************************************************************************
We purchased EBSCO's Dynamed (December 2006). The residents, nurses and physicians were able to use this resource off campus, this is why it was purchased. EBSCO says it is Evidence Based Practice product but I beg to differ plus the information is a list format. Unlike UpToDate which is narrative and goes back to the medical literature in depth. Unfortunately the problem  with UpToDate is that it is priced out of reach for most institutions to purchase offsite licenses. I would say comparing the two databases is like comparing apples and orange (if you get my drift). I know that if we yanked UpToDate from the two hospitals the physicians, nurses and staff would be very unhappy. So Dynamed was purchased for the residents to use at the clinic.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
I'd like to know this too or any other products.  We were just informed that in our renewal in January 2008 the "25% discount" they'd provided us the first two years was going away.  (From the first year to the second they increased costs by 13% due to extra volumes of our hospital's inpatient/outpatient visits.) AND, of course, our volumes have continued to increase.  I'm expecting a 40% increase.  Needless to say, that is beyond my budget.  If the hospital will add to my budget to fund it....OK.  Otherwise I don't care how much they love it, its gone.  I'm not canceling most of my other electronic resources for Uptodate.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
We had one of our chief residents trialing Dynamed. At first he didn't seem to like it as much as Up-to-Date (I think because the info is bulleted). He had a copy on his PDA -- then, while on rounds, he actually *altered a decision* he was going to make from the info on his PDA. Now he's lobbying us to subscribe.

My humble opinion -- for the newbie UTD has an advantage by including complete sentences and paragraphs -- helps the inexperienced put things into perspective. I think the experienced doc can use the targeted info quite easily and has an advantage from a point-of-care perspective if it's on a PDA or even from an office.

I think it might be helpful to compare the two using specific, patient related decisions typical of your hospital. (well, guess that's kind of obvious!) I hope you can get people to trial using it with a PDA -- but I think they only give one complete PDA version to each hospital. Everyone else can only download a version of Dynamed with about 15 conditions. If you get one complete copy for the PDA, make sure you give it to someone who can really determine it's use.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
We have Uptodate as a standalone.  It really is very comprehensive and I wish I could afford it for the whole hospital. Since I can not, I have purchased Dynamed. It is not a comprehensive but many of my doctors like it anyway.  They are familiar with both products and find that dynamed has its niche.  My sample size is small (10 or so physicians.)

***************************************************************************************************************************************
We provided UpToDate until recently when we replaced it with DynaMed.  We provide access for the medical college and the adjoining hospital.  However, we make our decisions with the School of Medicine.  There was a brief uproar at the hospital when we switched.  Ours was a quick switch, which probably didn't help matters.  The main problem seemed to be the residents who had been using UpToDate and had to learn a new system and the few areas where DynaMed does not yet cover.  However, the students never said much and after a couple of weeks it quieted down.

UpToDate replaced our access link(which many had bookmarked) with a library contact information(which we had not approved) and individual purchasing information.  Despite the uproar, DynaMed has had considerable use and it's use is increasing over what we had with UpToDate.  I wouldn't entirely trust the stats I gather because I believe their definitions are different between the two products, but DynaMed is getting plenty of use.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
We have only UpToDate.  Our oncologists and hospitalists value it. Previously the CD version of UpToDate was available in the Medical Library only, but due to popular response to a trial version that is available throughout the hospital, we will be subscribing to the Internet version that is available building-wide.

***************************************************************************************************************************************   UTD was sooo expensive, I dropped it from my list. My choices came down to Dynamed and First Consult. Elsevier had this incredible contract thingie for a mere trial that I opted to go with Dynamed. I have not yet advertised it but it is getting fair use here. I'd prefer more Peds info....

***************************************************************************************************************************************
I ran a trial of DynaMed for our hospitalists.  The universal response was UptoDate is a better resource. Generally the comments were UptoDate  was easier to navigate, nicer package of information, and more to the point (yet comprehensive).  We subscribe to MDConsult and most said did not see anything that they would use on DynaMed that they could not get on MDConsult.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
UpToDate and DynaMed aren't really comparable products. DynaMed is an evidence-based, point of use product, arranged in bulleted form for ease of access.  UpToDate is more like a regularly updated textbook...not evidence-based (since they don't really give any indication of level of evidence of articles used), and truth be told, I'm not sure exactly how up to date it really is, over all.  From a librarian's point of view, I like DynaMed better than UTD.

That said, our users didn't like DynaMed because it wasn't UTD...they like UTD because they use it like a textbook. So we have UTD, not DynaMed.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
We recently ran a trial of both, but we can't seem to get the docs to pay attention to dynamed b/c they are so fixed on having UTD (name recognition).  UTD has been around longer and their initial marketing was very good- they targeted residency programs...so those docs left residency using, knowing and demanding UTD.

On the other hand, the products are 2 different animals in my opinion.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
We have had UpToDate for more than one year.  It was requested very heavily by the Residents and has been heavily used.   But now I am
switching over to FirstConsult.  The Residents seem to like that even better.  Just FYI.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
            Our doctors absolutely love UpToDate.  We do not have DynaMed.  But UpToDate has a habit of making their product very pricy for libraries.  Many people think they would rather market directly to the physicians and bypass the libraries.  They're not the greatest to deal with.  However, we are planning to renew with them if they don't up the price too much. On the other hand, if they give us a hard time, we will look at DynaMed. I would love to hear what others have to say about DynaMed.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
The content- and usage- information provided by UpToDate and EBSCO DynaMed are truly "apples and oranges" comparisons:

*Content (raw volume, not necessarily quality):
UpToDate reports their content in numbers of pages (70,000+), whereas DynaMed reports the number of topic review articles (close to 3,000).  Knowing how many UpToDate "pages" constitute one "review" would be helpful for a fair but raw comparison of content by volume.
*Usage:
UpToDate reports the number of topic review articles viewed per week, whereas DyanMed reports the number of "sessions", and the number of "searches" within those sessions per month.  The closest thing to a fair comparison would seem to be UpToDate's topic review articles viewed, and Dynamed's "searches".

UpToDate comes with a reputation among the physicians.  The consequence is that they come to it convinced that nothing else will do.  Off-campus access with UpToDate's pricing scheme would be prohibitively expensive (we would pay in the low six-figures instead of the middle five-figures if we offered off-campus access; even access via our "virtual private network" isn't allowed).  That said, and those physical limitations in place (i.e., the user must be on campus), our use is very high, measuring 4-5,000 topic reviews per month.  We had 53,642 topic reviews from May 2006 to March 2007.  (We have had UpToDate for longer than this; the time period was chosen so a fair(er) comparison with DynaMed could be made.)

By comparison, we started using DynaMed in May 2006.  It allows off-campus access (password-protected, or via our IP-authenticated via our virtual private network), yet the numbers are much smaller.  In the same May 2006 to March 2007 period, we had 501 sessions, and 1273 searches, ranging from 18-64 sessions per month, and 42 to 159 searches (i.e., viewings of topic reviews) per month.

An item is about to appear in our Medical Staff News publication (May issue), advertising the availability of DynaMed, and suggesting the similarity in function to UpToDate, plus the off-campus access availability.  It will be interesting to note any changes, particularly increases in use of DynaMed, when that article appears.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
Last year we received a free trial for Dyna Med. I asked several of our "Chief of Staff" physician's to sample the product and provide me feedback. All preferred the Up-to-date product over the Dyna Med, maybe they have improved their product since then. We just recently started subscribing to Up-to-date,  everyone loves it.  I don't know what type of subscription or price you were paying but Up-to-date has a great price for  their standalone version. The standalone version is $495.00 for a year subscription, renewal is $395.00 the CD is installed is for (1) workstation only (but the license allows multi users to use it) you can purchase additional  (1)  "workstation only" CD's for each computer in your library and it would still be cheaper than going with the site license. I spoke with a representative from Up-to-date regarding both versions (Internet or CD) to verify if the Intenet version was updated before the other, they indicated "both versions were updated at the same time" (four times a year) Best of luck on your decision.

***************************************************************************************************************************************
Here's my two cents on the issue of Dynamed vs. UptoDate.  I had a very interesting discussion with Dr. Alper, the creator of the Dynamed product, prior to the time we actually purchased the product for our Library.

Because of the fact that UptoDate's pricing was becoming more and more prohibitive; I was hoping that Dynamed would be able to replace UptoDate. The fact is they are two different products.  Dynamed's content is primarily Topic Summaries, which are brief evidence-based information summaries on specific conditions and topics- perfect when a practitioner needs to know the "bottom line" on a particular topic of interest, and does not have time to read through unnecessary detail or commentary.  One of Dr. Alper's claims was that Dynamed is an "evidence-based" resource, a resource which continually monitors the medical literature and updates its topic summaries to reflect any recent developments in research.

UpToDate's content is primary topical reviews- Review-length articles on over 7000 topics.  These are much longer expositions of medical topics, and these reviews are not quickly digestible when someone is operating under time constraints.  In addition, UpToDate's "brand recognition" and reputation for authority is something that our Faculty and Clinical Preceptors did not want to part with.  I wish that UpToDate would improve its interface and searchability, but in spite of exorbitant price increases, it has not done anything substantial to its interface or retrieval system. Recently, UpToDate has added an evidence rating system, which accompanies some but not all reviews in the system, in an attempt to buttress its assertion that it is an "Evidence Based" resource.

The bottom line is that these are two different products- and your clinicians are going to have to determine which type of product it is that will meet their information needs within the timeframes that they are operating in.

Lisa Marks, MLS, AHIP
Supervisor, Library Services
Health Science Library
Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center