unusual common merganser nest site

hector galbraith <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 6 May 2007 14:53:02 -0400

VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

Atlasers
I was atlasing this morning in the town of Springfield when I came cross
a somewhat unusual COME nest site. The Black River at Springfield is
lined with old factories, some of them with tall chimneys. When I first
saw the female COME she was flying in circles around the top of one of
these chimneys, which was about 50 feet in height, and obviously trying
to land on the parapet. Eventually she managed to do just that, then she
jumped down into the interior of the chimney. I am sure that there must
be a nest in there. Common merganser as an industrial species....go
figure!

Hector Galbraith PhD
Galbraith Environmental Sciences LLC
837 Camp Arden Rd., Dummerston, VT05301