]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  June 2007, Week 1

MEDLIB-L June 2007, Week 1

Re: QUESTION - SUMMARY (LONG) - History of Medicine - Two archaic terms I can't find Ansortofecpus or ansortofectus and carcinoma of the head of calluni

Julia Esparza <[log in to unmask]>

Julia Esparza <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Jun 2007 12:14:38 -0500

Summary (LONG)

Original Question - I have a woman doing genealogy and she came across 2
death certificates with terms I can't identify.  This was in the 1920's.
Once says cause of death was by ansortofecpus (I think it is probably
ansortofectus) but I can't find references online or in any of my books
on what that might be in today's medical terms.  Also the second death
certificate lists carcinoma of the head of calluni.  I can't find a
calluni listed anywhere as a body part which the term implies.  I of
course found calculi but that doesn't make sense to me.   If anyone
specializes in the history of medicine and recognizes the terms please
let me know.

Answer

No consensus or idea on the ansortofecpus or ansortofectus.  Some
interesting guess are involved below.  The possible fetus guess was
negated when I found out the woman with this disease listed as death was
in her 60's.  Doesn't rule it out completely that it was a female
problem but not childbirth.

I believe the head of calluni is probably a bone cancer in the form of a
cyst/callus.  Of course this is conjecture but it matches up with some

At the time coroners did NOT have to be medical doctors so this could be
a complicating circumstance.  The woman has looked at over 50 death
certificates from this time and is very familiar with the writing of the
time.  Unfortunately the documents are still handwritten which makes
this more complicated!

Thanks to everyone who looked around and passed this on to some people
who gave me ideas.

Comments - Suggestions

From Fred King, Washington Hospital Center - I couldn't find either term
in our 1907 edition of Osler's Modern Medicine. Not very helpful, I
know, but more helpful than my suggestion that the first one is "a[n]
sort of ec pus," I was thinking of a sloppy writing/transcription error,
so I broke the word into pieces.  The only problem is that it doesn't
make sense even when it's broken up, unless "ec pus" has some
significance. Icky pus? External pus? (Gangrene??)

From Margaret Vugrin, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Library,
Lubbock, TX - > calluni - callus - definition of callus by the Free
Online Dictionary ... The hard bony tissue that develops around the ends
of a fractured bone during healing. Maybe with changes in declension
from the latin?

From Nancy L. Eckerman, Ruth Lilly Medical Library, Indiana University
School of Medicine Indianapolis, IN - callus, n 2. Pathol. 'The bony
material thrown out around and between the two ends of a fractured bone
during the process of healing' (Syd. Soc. Lex.).  Message:  This
carcinoma at the head of a broken bone? I also found that the pancreas
has a head and could well be the place of cancer. Also, could the word
calluni possibly be canal, cancer at the head of the digestive canal?

From Margaret Cirillo, The Kingston Hospital, Kingston, NY - I just
plugged in "carcinoma of the head of" to see what would come up and,
100% of the time, the phrase "carcinoma of the head of the pancreas"
came up.  Sometimes it would be "carcinoma of the head of the pancreas
or the periampullary region".  -

From Louise M. Yorke, Princeton HealthCare System, Princeton, New Jersey
- could it be insorto(abcess)? last part fetus?

From Stephen J. Greenberg, History of Medicine Division, National
Library of Medicine - Untangling handwritten death certificates is a
nasty business, but may I suggest: carcinoma of the head of the colon?
Some sort of aortic disease (stenosis or schlerosis?) The suffixes and
prefixes don't seem to mean anything medically, so this is my best
guess.

From Ruth Humphrey, Evanston Hospital, Evanston IL - Try looking at
http://www.cyndislist.com/medical.htm - Cyndislist is a mega listing of
genealogy sites under many different categories.  I looked at a few
websites listed, but not all of them.

From David Dillard, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA -

Actually we have had a busy morning on Net-Gold discussing genealogy
websites, Linda Bee, the other owner of Net-Gold moderates two very well
known genealogy discussion groups.  She has been away from her Florida
home providing hospice care for her mother who died in May since
December 2006, but the lists have continued and have members that are
good resource people in genealogy.  Linda will also be back to these
lists in the future as well.  These are Yahoo Groups lists for which
membership is required to pose questions or search and read the
archives.

Quoting from a post of earlier today:
For any unfamiliar with her great efforts, please have a look at these
URLs:
<http://tinyurl.com/2gdrx8>

Membership is required to view posts in each of these Yahoo Groups that
Linda moderates and browsing will be necessary to see her posting in
each as the number of posts in each from her exceeds the 5,000 record
output that is the search limit of Yahoo Group site search engine
archive searches. Does that tell one something of the tremendous
contribution provided by Linda Bee to those who are users of her
valuable posts? Remember, if you browse the three Yahoo Groups lists
after joining, browse from December 2006 and before as there is no
posting from Linda Bee this year for the reasons noted above.
Source of this quote:
Re: [Net-Gold] Genealogy - Ancestors - Family History/History
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/18475>

Julie Esparza
Medical Librarian
Health Science Library
Deaconess Hospital
they are addressed.
originator of the message.

states them to be the views of Deaconess Health System.