]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  June 2007, Week 4

MEDLIB-L June 2007, Week 4

Re: [Hls-list] From the HLS JCAHO Liaison

"Bandy, Margaret" <[log in to unmask]>

Bandy, Margaret

Wed, 27 Jun 2007 22:09:26 -0600

Here are the comments I put in the survey.  I didn't include all the questions here:

In our hospital, KBI is part of every PI initiative, patient care and safety, guideline development, evidence-based practice, etc.  We have a number on online resources that are not free, and we have professional librarians that do searches, instruct clinical staff in the use of them, and belong to the National Networks of Libraries of Medicine so that resources not on site can be located quickly and economically.

Please explain why you believe IM.5.10 should not be deleted from the current chapter.

Just because there is a great deal of info on the Internet, high quality info is often not free (such as Joint Commission Resources), full text journals and texts, evidence-based resources such as the Cochrane database and other resources. Furthermore, it requires the expertise of librarians to efficiently and cost-effectively acquire, organize, and train clinical staff to use these resources in an optimal way.  This requirement should not be deleted. When a hospital in our city closed it's library, medical staff and other clinical staff were left high and dry, unable to get the services they needed.  This hospital no longer qualified for membership in the National Networks of Libraries of Medicine.  It would be far better to retain the current approach--services provided on site or through a contracted arrangement--than to eliminate the explicit requirement for KBI.

IM.5.10 needs to be retained. If there is to be a change, include expert librarians in the revision. They are in the field and understand the information needs of clinical and non-clinical staff.

Margaret Bandy

Exempla Saint Joseph Hospital

Denver, CO