SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Archives

July 2007

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Chandler Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2007 18:31:49 -0400
Michael, I think your proposed AAAS session sounds great.  We raised issues
which were addressed, as you say.  It became clear since then that much
more loose DNA wanders around than one knew in the 1970s, and much more
than anyone could hope to "contain" (so "containment" became less of an
issue-- justly? what do experts on the list say?), and that the loose DNA
does get incorporated into organisms and their genetic material.  Why does
this not alarm people nowadays?  Only because there has not been an epidemic
traceable to genetic engineering yet?  Maybe because now that genetic
inheritance is known to be even less stable than was believed, protecting it
from insult feels less urgent?  If the latter, that's a pretty inadequate
excuse.
			Chandler