SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE July 2007

Re: Talking gently.

Eric Entemann <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:29:41 -0400

I would only reply that it is grossly simplistic, in my opinion, to assume
that "racism and other structural factors" are the only reasons for the
digital divide and unemployment in minority communities.  I doubt that
anyone on this list would argue that they are not the most important.

And I was only "explaining" that it was wrong to assume that the cost of
internet access was necessarily a factor.  It is not.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Phil Gasper <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Talking gently.
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:40:14 -0500

Eric--

The original article posted by Sam was about the digital divide in the
US-the fact that some groups have much easier access to computer technology,
the Internet, etc. What explains this fact? Your suggestion was that some
people waste their money on big TVs and their time watching "mindless
entertainment". If that doesn't amount to blaming the victim, I don't know
what does. The fact that some of your best students are people of color
doesn't make the taste that your response leaves in the mouth any less
appealing.

If what I am objecting to isn't clear, let me draw a simple analogy. Why is
there an "employment divide" in the US, with unemployment rates in minority
communities twice the national average and for black youth well over 40
percent? Is it because members of minority communities don't have the right
work ethic, don't speak standard white English, don't dress in appropriate
ways, etc.? Or does it have to do with racism and other structural factors?
The first explanation isn't made any better if you add that for the past 30
years you have been a job coach to minority youth, teaching them the skills
they need to get and keep employment. Such work may be admirable, but it
doesn't make an individualistic explanation (by which I mean an explanation
in terms of individual behavior) of the divide any more credible.

It is interesting to note that both Eric and Michael seem to think that
rejecting the blame the victim response must commit one to some kind of
ultra-left lunacy. But there are plenty of things one can do to help reduce
the digital divide aside from emphasizing individualistic solutions to a
problem that can't be solved on an individual basis or calling for the
downfall of capitalism (even if you think capitalism is the root of the
problem).

Phil

http://liveearth.msn.com