Last Chance for Your Block

Rosalind Renfrew <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Jul 2007 15:13:49 -0400

VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

LAST CHANCE TO HELP, AND PROGRESS UPDATE

July is here, and we all know what that means! Two, maybe three weeks
of good confirmation time remains, and there is no turning back that
clock. Some may have to push themselves, but I've heard that there
can be serious withdrawals when it's all over. So grab the present
moment for all it's worth, you are needed!

Ask yourself: can you realistically finish your block in the remaining time?

If your answer is no, please contact your coordinator asap! Although
you may feel badly about having to ask for help, it would be worse to
find out after the fact that blocks were not finished. We may be able to help!

Progress...

Overall, we are in great shape, and will finish most blocks if the
current pace is maintained...and I'm hoping a final push will finish
them all. Most counties are on target with most blocks completed or
nearly so. It has been heartening to see atlasers from one county
helping out in another county, taking care of what had been worrisome areas.

There are some minor exceptions, some blocks that still need help.
Anyone who is finished with their own block and up for a camping
trip? I can give you a letter that will allow you to stay at any
state park for free when you're atlasing (unless they're full).
Interested? There are a few blocks that need help in these last
remaining days if we are to complete them: they're in Essex and
Windsor counties, and a block in Washington county. Please contact me
asap if you think you can do even a few hours in a block, every bit helps!

Also, a team of birders have been seeking out rare species throughout
the state, in the hopes of documenting them for this atlas, or at
least being able to say that they looked.  Target species vary from
waterbirds to boreal species, and not surprisingly, some have been
found, and some have not.

There are so many people to thank, and I can't do that justice
here...I will save it for our fall post-atlas celebration (date and
location TBA).

Finally, atlassers have sent me a few new pictures from the field,
and there are more on the way:

http://www.uvm.edu/~vbba/results.htm

Thanks to everyone for this incredible collaborative effort! Breathe
deep and put those binocs to work just a few more times...

Best wishes for plentiful confirmations,
Rosalind