Hummingbird Activity

Susan Elliott <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Jul 2007 15:20:08 -0700

VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

Yesterday while atlassing at Bomoseen 3, Marv and
I and Sue Wetmore observed a female hummingbird
poking her beak several times into a web that
contained several insects. She flew off with
nothing observable in her beak. We have seen this
activity in other blocks at about this time of
year. Is this carrrying food? Sue W. found this
reference in a book:

Citing from "Hummingbirds of N. Am." by Sheri
 Williamson on pg 27 :" After the eggs have
hatched, the female begins spending more time
away from  the nest gathering food. She
REGURGITATES a slurry  of partially digested
insects into the open mouth  of each
nestling-------"

Any ideas anyone? Roz?

Sue Elliott (not that we're desperate for COs!)

http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/