Re: least bitterns

Allan Strong <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 9 Jul 2007 09:23:00 -0400

VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

In 2003, Greg Askew and I confirmed Least Bitterns nesting in Half Moon
Cove in Colchester.  After seeing adults for the previous month, we finally
found fledglings on 20 July.  They looked remarkably similar to adults at
that time, with the exception of a fair amount of downy fluff on their head
and back.  So, if any of you are going to look for these birds, check their
plumage carefully as you may be able to document breeding for this species.

Allan

At 02:38 PM 7/7/2007 -0400, you wrote:
>VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING
>
>To all atlasers,
>
>I have been having some success in southern VT and NH finding least
>bitterns this year. Right now seems to be a good time for surveying
>these birds - they breed late and their young are probably just hatched.
>My technique is to play the calls on the Stokes cd of eastern birds.
>Don't expect the birds to reply, but watch out for them flying up to get
>a better look at you. Sometimes they may fly onto an open perch and
>remain there for a while. So far I have found at least 5 individuals in
>the cattail marshes that fringe the Connecticut in southern VT and NH.
>So, they are out there, But need some effort.
>

>Hector Galbraith PhD
>Galbraith Environmental Sciences LLC
>837 Camp Arden Rd., Dummerston, VT05301
>802 258 4836 (phone)

Allan M. Strong
University of Vermont
The Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources
347 Aiken Center
Burlington, VT 05405
802-656-2910