ducky day

Stewarts <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Jul 2007 20:23:17 -0400

VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

While working the Sund 5 block off Kelley Stand rd today I found in
an old beaver pond:

Mother Wood Duck and 7 +/- yg
Mother Hooded Merg and  5 +/- yg   and
Mother Black Duck with 6 fairly grown yg.

These were all tooling around in the same semi-vegetated pond.   The
Black Ducks are the only ones I have seen during the entire Atlas
project so this was really exciting for me.

I also flushed a family of medium sized Woodcocks today - 5-7.  They
were feeding under an apple tree where the vegetation had been
cut.   They dispersed when I was less than 8' from them and I never
saw them till then.   A real shame as it would have been a super
treat to see these guys actually on the ground feeding.

My non-birding sightings include a doe nursing 2 fawns - still
fitting easily under her body with lots of spots.

What a ducky day!!

ruth stewart