birds still on eggs...

Rosalind Renfrew <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:05:35 -0400

VERMONT BREEDING BIRD ATLAS POSTING

Atlasing on Gilman 1 on Wednesday (near Lunenberg in Essex County,
near the CT River), I flushed a Hermit Thrush off of its nest: 2
eggs. There are definitely some late nesters out there, and there was
still plenty of feeding going on.

For confirmations, follow the baby calls, ignore the adults that sing
endlessly or eat what they find themselves, investigate chipping,
stray off of paths and roads (without getting lost), and keep walking
if it's quiet, until you hear something worth stopping for. Hang
around when you have a bird chipping/calling at you, as their calls
will bring in other birds.

Blocks in Essex, Bennington, and Windsor counties could still use
help in what is likely our final week for confirmations of most
species. We're close...! Contact me if you think you can atlas, even
if it's only for a few hours.

Tirelessly (in spirit at least if not in body!),
Rosalind