]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  July 2007, Week 1

SKIVT-L July 2007, Week 1

Re: Forget the Mexicans and Canucks was Re: Immigration reform and skiing

Marc Guido <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Jul 2007 21:16:50 -0600

That marrying a US citizen automatically grants you citizenship is a common
misconception. By itself, it doesn't even allow a non-citizen entry into the
US. All it gets you is the opportunity to apply for permanent residence
without having to wait in line for your quota number to be called.

The paperwork and process takes a couple of years to complete. If you marry
within the US, the non-citizen can't leave the US for virtually any reason
short of death of an immediate relative (and only then with a waiver that is
applied for and granted) until the process is complete. If the marriage
takes place outside of the US the opposite is true: the non-citizen applies
at their country's US Consulate and can't enter the US until the process is
complete. That gives rise to the process' first catch-22: if you enter the
US to get married, and tell the immigration agent that, they'll deny you
entry. If you lie about the reason you entered the US (i.e., you said you
were going on vacation and you were really going to get married), that'll
come up when your immigration application is researched and your application
will be rejected. If you get married outside the US, what does that lead to?
"Honey, great marrying you...now I'll see you again in a couple of years,
OK??"

Part of the application is proof of the US citizen's financial security to
ensure that the non-citizen won't end up on the welfare rolls. Following
application a complete criminal background check on both spouses takes
place, then the interview is scheduled where you're quizzed independently to
ensure that this isn't a business relationship, i.e. asking things about the
bedroom decorations, etc. Anything going wrong along the way, or any bad
feeling of any ICE agent, can torpedo the application and get it rejected.
Finally, 18 or 24 months down the road, the non-resident gets US Permanent
Residence, i.e. a "green card" after a total of a good 8 full days have been
spent sitting around in ICE offices in the process.

If the non-resident needs to work to help support the household, a separate
application for work permission needs to be made at the time the permanent
residence application is filed...and that takes a good three months or more
to arrive. If the non-resident already has a child, as was our case, a
separate application needs to be made on behalf of the child.

ICE issues a quota of visas for legal applicants from every country each
year. Virtually anyone can apply to be a legal immigrant to the US. How far
down the list you are when you apply depends on a number of factors
including the economic and political conditions in the emigrating country,
the number of applications from the emigrating country, the number of
immigrants from a particular country our society can absorb, etc. ICE
accepts applications from the top x number of applicants per year, where x
is that emigrating country's quota for that year. The following year, number
x-1 is first in line. Eventually your number gets called, and the above
process starts.

All marrying a US citizen does for you is gets you to the head of the line
to have permission to apply for permanent residence. There are no quotas in
place for immigrants marrying US citizens.

And all that gets the non-citizen in the end is legal permanent residence.
In order to become a citizen, you need to be a legal permanent resident for
at least 5 years, agree to renounce your birth country citizenship,
demonstrate proficiency in the English language, and pass a written and
verbal citizenship exam that covers US history. I helped Patricia study for
her exam, and I assure you that while many of the questions were quite easy,
some of them were darned hard for even a US citizen to know. I think I
would've scored an 85-90 without studying. Once you complete that process
you attend a swearing-in ceremony. I was kinda choked up watching Patricia's
ceremony here in SLC, where she was sworn in along with several hundred
other new citizens. It was a beautiful ceremony that lasted about an hour.

Now, perhaps those who advocate amnesty for the millions of illegals here
understand why I'm so opposed to amnesty. What we went through was difficult
enough, but I did the legal research myself on the Internet to save
attorney's fees, and we followed the process to the letter of the law. I can
understand why those who went through the quota system to gain legal entry,
some of whom waiting 8 or 10 years for their number to be called, would be
exponentially more incensed at giving those who flaunted the law a free ride
to receive the same privileges that they worked so hard to obtain.

------------------------------------
First Tracks!! Online Ski Magazine
Marc Guido
Editor & Publisher