]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  July 2007, Week 1

SKIVT-L July 2007, Week 1

Rock Creek Headwall (10,500') / Beartooth Mountains / MT

WM Walker <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Jul 2007 23:21:39 -0400

Day 66, 2006-2007
Rock Creek Headwall (10,500') / Beartooth Mountains / MT
June 29, 2007

I parked the car in a pull out at 10,250' next to a group of bikers. Not the
spandex and crash helmet type, but the leather chaps, bare-chested and
chains with a handlebar mustache type. Smoking cigarettes and plotting their
next move they regarded me with squinted eyes and a careful avoidance of
anything approaching a stupid question. For this, I loved them. I put my pack
on and wandered off over the alpine tundra in the direction of the height of
land that separated me from the Rock Creek Headwall.
The trip across the tundra and up and over the height of land took over a half
hour as I stopped on occasion and panned my vision in a slow 360 searching
the vast green carpet for signs of the huge black bear I had spotted earlier in
the week. I wasn't really scared of being attacked by a black bear. Not really.
But I couldn't help imagining the irony of being eaten by a bear. Car crash?
Sure. Plane crash? Maybe. Snowboarding wreck? Probably. Bear attack?
Well….hadn't ever given that one much though. Until now.
Eventually I gained the height of land and could look down to the long broken
edge that marked the end of the world. I hiked to the edge and looked down
into the Rock Creek canyon, an amazing four thousand vertical foot relief. I
wasn't anywhere near where I needed to be though and so spent another 10
minutes sort of half-running along the headwall edge looking for the top of the
two fingers of snow that remained to be skied in the infamous Rock Creek
Headwall.
All week the headwall had been the first major objective I saw driving up to
the pass. It lurks above a major hairpin on the drive up- a gateway, a beacon.
The aspect is mostly south east however and by this time of year, in this not
especially tremendous snow year, the skiable lines had dwindled and died until
there were only two. They were both super skinny and super steep, dropping
for over 800 vertical feet from the granite rim of the headwall until petering
out in a jumbled mass of boulders. Because they required a bit of a hike to
reach I was more or less assured of peace and quite.
But they were hard to find from the top for my novice-to-this-area eyes and
by the time I did get to the right spot I was somewhat anxious to get off what
my mind had by now imagined was a bear infested death zone. But jeezum
crow what a sight from above- The couloirs twisted and twitched about
themselves for the entire descent and were never more than 10 or so feet
wide- much less than that at the top. And steep- boy what was it about this
place for unforgiving skiing? The left couloir was the steeper of the two (about
55 degrees) and so that's were I started strapping in.
Once I was ready to go I looked between my knees at the couloir snaking this
way and that below and started a short heel side slide downhill in what I
thought would be a preparatory pre-turn for the toe side jump turn that would
start the business. There was zero room for error as the steepness would
mitigate self arrest in the event of a fall and there wasn't enough width in the
couloir for anything but precision turns. I slide a few feet more down the
couloir and then….balked. NO! my mind yelled. DO NOT SKI THIS.
I stopped, surprised by the gravity of my mind's decision. Unprecedented.
Never have I stopped a descent once I started. I stopped and with one swift
motion that was the result of thousands of repetitions, I unstrapped my rear
foot and stepped out of the binding and onto the steep snow. I reached for
the side of the couloir to get a hand hold … and found that it was three or
four feet too far away to grab. It was then, standing on that 55 degree snow
slope with one foot in and one foot out of my snowboard that I realized what
a stunningly stupid thing it was to unstrap that back foot. I was balanced on
my heelside edge with most of my weight on my front foot, holding that edge
like a bronco rider holds the reigns- for dear life.
We all do stupid things. This was rapidly climbing my personal stupidity list
however as I quickly ran through the short list of available options before
settling on the only thing that made any sense- get my foot back in that
binding. With the utmost care, sweating bullets, I gingerly reached down and
pulled the straps out of the way of my boot. Then the moment of moments- I
lifted my rear boot off the snow, thereby balancing on my front heel, and with
the herky jerky elegance of a left handed submarine pitcher placed my boot
into the binding. I fumbled with the strap and of course it refused to budge
but in my fumbling the snowboard started to slide downhill.
Whoa! Digging in with my front heel I applied all my focus on spreading as
much weight as possible across that heel side edge, knowing that a slide for
life now would be just that. And I stopped. Again.
With renewed vigor I strapped that back heel in tight and then looked at the
couloir walls for something, anything, to grab. I spied a big bomber bucket of a
hold about five feet downhill and saw something like salvation. If only I could
get to it…rocking slightly back and forth I slide downhill again and heel turned
like mad and grabbed for that bomber hold. And snagged it!
One hand in the granite now I quickly unstrapped both bindings and threw the
board onto the granite gendarme separating the left couloir from the right.
Sweating profusely and shaking I climbed across the gendarme to the right
side couloir and proceeded to snowboard the freakin heck out of that run.