]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  July 2007, Week 4

MEDLIB-L July 2007, Week 4

FW: Ref Q: End-user computer use-SUMMARY

"Harris, Tonia O." <[log in to unmask]>

Harris, Tonia O.

Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:16:58 -0400

Please excuse the duplication, this is being cross posted.

I was asked to summarize for the lists.  I received 40 replies over the
course of 1 1/2 days.

Here is the summary:
Filtering of sites:  All libraries who responded said networked
computers were blocked/filtered by categories such as: gambling, games,
auctions, adult sites, some also filtered dating, shopping, sports.
Even some filtered individual websites such as MySpace, YouTube.  Some
also filtered Yahoo, shopping, sports, etc websites.  Computers on the
network were filtered by IS.  Most network computers did not have
hospital email or Outlook.  One library keeps network computers behind a
locked door accessible by badge reader only.  Some libraries have
computers and "kiosk" computers were not on the network and used either
dial-up, DSL or T1 for just internet access.  For those, the library did
its own filtering with software, via Internet Explorer or didn't filter
at all.  These computers were used for family, members, public or
employees without network ID's.  Some said there is an "all or nothing"
approach to filtering by the IT dept for network computers.
One library uses thin clients (WCD's)- communication boxes that connect
to server from remote location.  Its hospital programs are on it, but
can't alter the computer or download junk.
Filtering and/or monitoring software titles: Websense, Web Trends,
SurfControl, Content Manager from ContentWatch
One library's IS dept. set it up so that screen resets back at the
beginning of the next day.  Two other resetting programs: DeepFreeze and
Centurian Shields.

Logins: For network computers, most employees had their on logins, those
who didn't (generic) either the librarian logged them on, they were
given the login info or the login info was posted near the computer.  In
some libraries, the generic was always the same, in others it changed
periodically. Computers not on the network usually didn't have a login.
Some libraries only had employee login only, thus eliminating use by
family members, patients and public.  Some libraries logged in all
computers each morning with a generic login, some don't turn the
computers off every night because of lack of access for after hours
employees (employees without logins and library staff logs them on with
generic). One reply said they have auto login set up by the IT dept.

Tracking history of use:  Many said IT could track from user's logins.
One library said IT tracks regardless of login since it tracks by
workstation not by user login.  Another library said staff can pull
history from each computer via Internet Explorer.  Some libraries said
IT constantly monitors computers, some said they don't.  Some replied
that a log report can be retrieved from IT.  In a couple of instances a
notice is sent to the offender's supervisor regarding inappropriate
website viewing.

Monitoring of the computer area:  A few libraries had security cameras,
but one or two could only see the users and not what was on the screens.
In some libraries, staff walk by occasionally and ask user if they need
any help.  Some have the computers placed near the circulation desk or
staff area to hinder inappropriate use.  Some reminded users what the
computers were available for if they saw inappropriate use and most of
the time the user left.  Some said users were asked to leave if they
were disruptive.  Some don't walk around at all or just look in
occasionally through a window near office.  In some cases users told
staff of inappropriate use by someone.

Time limits if other are waiting: 10 mins., 15 mins. 30 mins. One reply
said 1 hour usage, longer if no one is waiting (high usage of the
computers, in this case they also left ID's with staff.  When they
picked them up staff knew a computer was free to let another person
use).  Some had signs posted about this.  Some people had to be asked to
move or leave if others were waiting since no sign was posted.

Types of users: Some didn't allow public or would refer them to local
public library or nearby university medical center library, some allowed
family members and patients, some allowed all of these including all
employees.  One said they didn't allow patients or family members to use
the computers, but staff could help them find the info they need.  One
mentioned no children on computers even if accompanied by adult.  Some
said no children under 18 or 16 in the library/using computers unless
accompanied by adult.

Signs near computers:  Some verbiage of signs placed near computers or
in computer area warning users of inappropriate use:  "This computer's
internet log is reviewed periodically.  It has shown inappropriate use
by the computers used in the library.  Please be sure to use
appropriately."  "The intentional display of inappropriate sexual
material will not be tolerated and is considered a violation of hospital
policy.  People who violate this policy will be told to leave the
library and denied future library services." "... zero tolerance policy
regarding inappropriate website use and people will be banned if they
are caught viewing these websites." "...hospital related business has
priority..." "...computers are for business use only..." "...be careful
what sites you look at - is it worth your job?" or similar.  Some
mentioned that Security will be called if needed even after users
supposedly read the signs.

Access after hours:  Several replied about using badge scanner access
after hours and a report can be retrieved from Security showing access.
Some had a sign in sheet for after hours visitors.  One library is
locked 24/7 and is only accessible by badge scanner.

Sign in sheets:  The majority of replies did not use them, some used
them for the users using generic logins to track back to if problems
occur, some used them for after hours visitors (all employees or just
certain types like docs & nurses).  One library uses these sheets in
monthly and annual reports.  Others just track and tally and get public
counts.  One reply used these to justify getting another end-user
computer based on usage.

This is some of the info on sign in sheets:  Name, initials/Work
Area/Date, Supervisor Name, For work or personal, Which computer used
(1,2,3,etc), Did you have to wait? Signature, Sign-in time/Sign-out
time, How long were you on? Item(s) Used,  Suggestions, Dept.  check off
for the databases used i.e. EBSCO Medline, EBSCO CINAHL, Cochrane,
StatRef!, Email, CareLearning/Synquest, Microsoft applications,
Research, Education, Other (specify).

Several of you sent actual policies of end-user computer use,
non-hospital users, unaffiliated persons/users, etc.  Some of these were
adopted from other libraries and some had to be signed off by hospital
attorney before posting.  Several also sent copies of sign-in sheets.
If any of you would like to see these, let me know and I'll ask the
library who sent it to me for permission to send it to you.

Some problems reported:  Most common was looking at porn, in a couple of
cases the offender was fired.  In some cases a letter is sent to the
employee's supervisor about inappropriate computer use.  Also, listening
to computer programs and websites too loudly, especially internet radio,
users using their CD's with unknown viruses, printing out too many
pages,  and spending too much time on computer when should be working.

A couple of technologies alleviating some end-user computer problems are
internet access in patient rooms and wireless internet connections.

That's all folks:)

Tonia

Tonia Harris, MLIS
Manager of Library Services
Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System
101 East Wood St.
Spartanburg, SC 29303
(864)560-6770
(864)560-6791 fax

________________________________

>>> "Harris, Tonia O." <[log in to unmask]> 7/18/2007 12:00 PM >>>

Please excuse the duplication, this is being cross posted.

Hi,

We have six end-user computers for use in our 500 bed hospital library.
Currently they are used by employees, family members, the occasional
patient and general public (for medical/clinical research only, but I
have no way of verifying this).  I'm interested in asking other hospital
libraries what types of patrons use their end-users computers.  Also, do
you have a sign in sheet for computer use or for general library use?
If so, who signs it, all patrons, just certain ones (general public,
employees, docs only, etc.)?  What type of information is on the form?
How do you feel about letting the general public use your computers or
is it even allowed?  I'll appreciate any examples of sign in sheets.

Also regarding what websites the patrons are looking at, we do have
restricted access to categories of sites, such as gambling, games,
auctions, porn etc., but they are not constantly monitored 24/7.  I
could request this if I thought there was abuse.  There is one security
camera in there, but the way the computer desks are arranged it's
impossible for me or the assistant to see what people are looking at
without doing some obvious snooping. How do you all monitor this or do
you?

Since this is a medical library, the clientele are different than what
public libraries deal with and I don't really want to start making a lot
of rigid changes.  However, there have been a few recent incidents that
cause me to think more about this. I'm interested in seeing how others
are handling these situations.

Any feedback, comments are greatly appreciated.  Please reply to me off
list, I'll summarize if there is interest.