UVMFLOWNET September 2007

Re: Reimbursement for 93923

UVM Flownet <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 15 Sep 2007 18:00:59 -0400

GB,

Your question is indeed unorthodox.
Let's start in a logical order.
93923 states bilateral lower extremities arterial physiologic study
which can include all or a combination of the following,PVR, segmental
Doppler and segmental pressures, with documentation of such.
I do not recall anywhere in the CPT book where it would state anything
regarding which piece of equipment you are using. The only thing I am
almost certain of is that documentation is necessary, meaning that
charging for a one level pressure by taking only ABI without
documenting waveforms cannot be charged using 93922.
Therefore, I think that if you manage to be able to take segmental
pressures using your duplex AND you document waveforms by printing
pictures (or recording, or storing in PACS), then it seems that you
are within the boundary of the description.
As an advice though, tell the physicians you work with that using the
right equipment (mini lab for physiologic testing from Parks or
Unetixs) would probably give a great flexbility to obtain information
(since you would also have PPG, etc.) We all know we can use the
handle of a screwdriver to hit a nail, but using a hammer makes the
task so much easier to perform!

Nathalie
NSU