VTBIRD Archives

September 2007

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
DS Rolnick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:10:27 EDT
Yesterday mid-afternoon, at the entrance to Brilyea Access, a nice medley of
ducks:

Ring-billed Gull - 42
Wood Duck - 1
Green-winged Teal - 6
Northern Pintail - 3
Mallard - X
American Black Duck - 9+
American Wigeon - 2
Northern Harrier - 1
White-crowned Sparrow - 1
Savannah Sparrow - 1

Seen from the path joining the two parking lots:

LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER - 3 (ID'ed by flight call by Ted Mack)
RED-NECKED PHALAROPE - 1
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 2
Greater Yellowlegs - about 3
Lesser Yellowlegs - about 23
Pectoral Sandpiper - 11
Great Blue Heron - 4
GREAT EGRET (flyover) - 1
Peregrine Falcon - 2
Osprey - 1
Barred Owl (heard) - 1
Black-capped Chickadee - 4
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1
Purple Finch (female) - 1
Ring-billed Gull - X

The falcons engaged together in a spectacular aerial chase of what was
probably a yellowlegs. Unfortunately, the outcome was not visible, as the three
birds soon flew beyond the trees. I wonder whether the peregrines were
cooperating, or whether they were working separately with similar goals.
Wonderful sight! (I am not positive that the falcons were not Merlins - I am very
bad at differentiating the two species. However, they were very large -
exactly the same size.)

Good birding!

Davie Rolnick
Rupert, VT