VTBIRD Archives

September 2007

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
DS Rolnick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2007 22:56:19 EDT
From 3:30-7:00 at Brilyea Access, I and Bruce MacPherson watched a good
collection of shorebirds on the mudflats:

AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER - 1
Semipalmated Plover - a few
Killdeer - X
RED-NECKED PHALAROPE - 3
DUNLIN - 5
Greater Yellowlegs - X
Lesser Yellowlegs - X
Semipalmated Sandpiper - X
Least Sandpiper - X
PECTORAL SANDPIPER - 3+
WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER - 2

Also,

Blue-winged Teal - about 15
Belted Kingfisher - 1

The golden-plover, Dunlin, and White-rumped Sandpipers each appeared twice on
those mudflats which are viewed from a grass-infringed path off the track
leading from the first parking lot. The phalaropes seemed mainly swimming in
the pool farthest from the parking lots, though one appeared several times on
the mudflats with the golden-plover, etc..

An adult Bald Eagle had a short conflict with an Osprey, the smaller bird
diving down and harassing the eagle, eventually driving it away. My mother and
I both saw Merlins/a Merlin. Tree Swallows (and Barn Swallows) were gathered
in impressive numbers, even landing on the road between the two parking lots.
  About 30 Great Blue Herons were visible from the walkway bridge at dusk.
The water and sky and now fading goldenrod are peaceful and quite beautiful.

Davie Rolnick
Rupert, VT

 Get a sneak peek of the
all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour