VTBIRD Archives

September 2007

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
- Maeve Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:52:48 EDT
I went out at 4:00 to get clothes off the line - and right under my clothes
line was an American Bittern, head stretched oddly, working to swallow what
looked like a large and struggling frog. I stopped dead and then slowly crept
closer. The bittern finally swallowed its prey, and I could see its throat and
chest working to get it down. The bird didn't even notice me until I was
probably 25' away. Then it froze, head up - not very effective on mowed grass!

There's a beaver pond about 1/4 mile away where I've seen a bittern twice. I
imagine this bird was flying to or from the pond when it noticed the frog
hopping around. I can't believe it hangs out often on my lawn!

Also - on and off for three weeks now, Barred Owls have been very vocal in
the wee hours. One night I listened to two or possibly three carrying on an
excited and intricate conversation from 3AM until close to 4 (when I fell back
asleep). On four other occasions, I've heard one owl just about at dawn.

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center

 See what's new at
http://www.aol.com