VTBIRD Archives

September 2007

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Julie Waters <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:41:23 -0400
By the time I got to Allen Brothers Marsh this afternoon, there were
no warblers to be found.  This may have had something to do with the
merlin (I think-- it's one of the few local raptors I don't see
enough to feel confident about) I spotted hanging out in a nearby
tree.

Also on my way home today I swung by Berlin Pond for a very quick
stopover.  Saw nothing of interest save for a single Osprey flying.
Pictures of both Osprey and likely Merlin at:

http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&keywords=&dte=2007-09-12

If this is, as I suspect, a Merlin, my guess is that it's a juvenile,
but help on this would be useful.  Unlike Kestrels and the various
accipiters, I've only had a few good looks at a Merlin in my life and
I've only seen one standing still for long enough to study three
times before today.

Also at Allen Bros. Marsh were the usual suspects: house sparrows,
green heron, great egret, great blue herons, mallards and likely wood
ducks.

Thanks,

--julie

	this is not true.