VTBIRD Archives

September 2007

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Julie Waters <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2007 18:57:22 -0400
Okay, first things first.  At Allen Brothers Marsh today a quick pass
through yielded a great egret, multiple (at least five) green herons,
at least five great blue herons, a single ill-tempered mallard and
large group (10+) of Wood ducklings with a wood duck momma.

Yard birds today were very few and far between and yielded nothing
unusual; a few cardinals, some chickadees and a single ruby-throated
hummingbird, as well as a few goldfinches, a rose-breased grosbeak
and an audible downy woodpecker.

Photos from today of the chickadee, two of the great blue herons, one
of the green herons and the wood ducks at:

http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&keywords=&dte=2007-09-02

In Off Topic trip report news, yesterday we got back from our Big Fat
Birding Vacation by Plum Island.  It was a great trip, yielding some
fairly unexpected sightings (yellow-billed cuckoo, western sandpiper,
hundreds of white-rumped sandpipers, a sora, several little blue
herons, a pair of pied-billed grebes, and much more that I've posted
over on the PI birds list during the week).

We did a couple boat trips and also checked out Parker River from the
Nelson Island side (in Rowley) which was really nice and got us great
(very close) views of least and semipalmated sandpipers.  We may have
found a Baird's Sandpiper: (
http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&pic=2188 -- anyone have any ideas
if I'm right that it's a Baird's?)

Pictures from the week, including some great shots at the Salisbury
Egret Roost (amazing-- get there at 5:30 and you can watch birds come
in for two hours, going from 20 or so birds to several hundred by
7:30) of birds in flight: Glossy Ibis, Great Egret, Great Blue Heron,
+ other shots of Little Blue Herons, Snowy Egrets, Black Crowned
Night Herons, Green Herons. Directions, with my photos from the roost
at:

http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?dte=2007-08&dg=dl&smy=s&keywords=-salisbury+roost

Photos from the week, all broken down by day:

http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&keywords=&dte=2007-08-25
http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&keywords=&dte=2007-08-26
http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&keywords=&dte=2007-08-27
http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&keywords=&dte=2007-08-29
http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&keywords=&dte=2007-08-30
http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&keywords=&dte=2007-08-31
http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&keywords=&dte=2007-09-01

My personal favorites from the trip:

Great Egret, coming in for a landing.
	http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=2100

Glossy ibis in flight.
	http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=2094

Little blue heron
	http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=2107

Snowy Egrets w/Greater Yellowlegs
	http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&pic=2136

Juvenile Pied-Billed Grebe:
	http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=2153

Many plovers &  pipers at Salt Pannes:
	http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&pic=2179

Least Sandpiper:
	http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&pic=2143
	http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&pic=2146

Greater Yellowlegs:
	http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&pic=2103

It was a really nice week, but now I'm glad to be back in Vermont.

--julie

	this is not true.

			--Robert Wilensky