Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ISOGEOCHEM Home

ISOGEOCHEM  December 2007

ISOGEOCHEM December 2007

Heavier d13 C values

Wolfram Meier-Augenstein <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Dec 2007 16:26:32 +0000

Hi Herb and Pat,

It would seem you have both overlooked that Harish is running a CuO only system, which explains the temperature setting of 850 C (he has no choice in this matter). However you are both correct in saying 850 C is far too low a temperature for quantitative combustion of methane.

That said, running a CuO only reactor at 950 C is about as useful as having a one-legged man on your team in an arse-kicking contest. CuO decomposes quite rapidly at temperatures in excess of 820 C, so running a CuO filled reactor at 950 C would result in exhaustion of the CuO bed without the benefit of combustion.

The temperature setting of 950 C give or take 10 degrees is geared up for CuO/NiO reactors in which NiO acts as oxygen sink while the oxidising agent CuO is essentially formed in situ (from oxygen provided by NiO).

That aside, combusting methane efficiently in a GC/C interface is tricky and if memory serves the solution Dawn Merritt proposed was to increase the reactor temperature to as high as it would go (ca. 1000 C) and change the reactor filling from CuO/NiO to NiO only.

Best,

Wolfram

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
Aldous Huxley, "Proper Studies", 1927
Dr W Meier-Augenstein
Senior Lecturer in Stable Isotope Forensics

Environmental Forensics & Human Health Research Group
EERC, S.P.A.C.E.
Queen's University Belfast
David Keir Building
39-123 Stranmillis Road