Re: REFERENCE: ENCYCLOPEDIAS : REFERENCE: ONLINE REFERENCE SOURCES AND TOOLS: Wikipedia Competitor Being Tested by Google

"David P. Dillard" <[log in to unmask]>

David P. Dillard

Mon, 17 Dec 2007 06:17:08 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 06:01:41 -0500 (EST)
From: David P. Dillard <[log in to unmask]>
To: EDTECH - Educational Technology <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: REFERENCE: ENCYCLOPEDIAS : REFERENCE: ONLINE REFERENCE SOURCES AND
     TOOLS: Wikipedia Competitor Being Tested by Google

This responding post to interesting and useful comments made by one of the
H-Net EDTECH group editors regarding my post about the new Google
encyclopedia that will compete with the Wikipedia may be of interest to
some of the members of this group.  It is found immediately below.

The comments made by Jeffrey L. Jones may be found here:

From: Jeffrey L. Jones <[log in to unmask]>
List Editor: EDTECH Editor-Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Editor's Subject: Re: REFERENCE: ENCYCLOPEDIAS : REFERENCE: ONLINE
REFERENCE SOURCES AND TOOLS: Wikipedia Competitor Being Tested by Google
Author's Subject: Re: REFERENCE: ENCYCLOPEDIAS : REFERENCE: ONLINE
REFERENCE SOURCES AND TOOLS: Wikipedia Competitor Being Tested by Google
Date Written: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 00:34:03 -0500
Date Posted: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 00:34:03 -0500

<http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrowse.pl?trx=vx&list=EDTECH&
month=0712&week=c&msg=OuFH6wQRJLrbch13bkdj%2bQ&user=&pw=>

A shorter URL for the above link:

<http://tinyurl.com/35x5n9>

Thanks to Jeffrey L. Jones <[log in to unmask]> for his interesting comments
regarding the development of a Google competitor to Wikipedia.  It is important
to remember that there are other players coming into the picture in addition to
the two 800 pound gorillas in the internet field who have or are developing
encyclopedias.  Gary Price of Resourceshelf was very quick to remind me when I
posted a guide to encyclopedias as part of my General Internet and Print
Resources subject guide additions section that Citizendium is being developed
by the founder of Wikipedia.

Quoting from my LibGuide (tm) for general sources:

<http://guides.temple.edu/content.php?pid=1282>

"From Gary Price owner of ResourceShelf

Compilation: General Internet and Print Resources: Encyclopedias

August 26, 2007 at 12:55 am  Filed under Source File, Resources for Educators,
Fast Facts, Databases, Directories, and Guides
<http://www.resourceshelf.com/index.php?s=dillard>

Resourceshelf
ResourceShelf is updated daily by an editorial team headed by Gary Price and
Shirl Kennedy. Browse our postings, subscribe to our weekly newsletter, and
capture RSS feeds
<http://www.resourceshelf.com/>

Quoting

Compilation: General Internet and Print Resources: Encyclopedias
Some nice work (as always) by David Dillard. Contains both web-based and print
tools. We would like to add one more, Citizendium. It was recently started by
Larry Sanger, co-founder of the Wikipedia. It allows users to contribute but
does have some differences vs. Wikipedia.
Source: Net-Gold

Addition to the Guide Encyclopedias Section

These are not links here, but on the website
they will take the user to the content for these
broad categories in the encyclopedia.

Citizendium
http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Main_Page

Main Page
Live article
Random page
Project pages
Recent changes
Start article
Help
Workgroups
Communication
Donate
Join us!
Toolbox
What links here
Related changes
Upload file
Special pages
Printable version
Permanent link

The main subject sections of this encyclopedia are listed below.

These are not links here, but on the website
they will take the user to the content for these
broad categories in the encyclopedia.

Natural Sciences
Social Sciences
Humanities
Arts
Applied Arts and Sciences
Recreation"

---------------------------

The owner and developer of Wikipedia is not happy with some of its defects and
is creating a competitor to the encyclopedia he developed.

There is also Scolaropedia, another entry in the we can do a better Wikipedia
field of endeavor:

Scholaropedia
<http://www.scholarpedia.org/>

This statement quoted here provides insight into what this encyclopedia is
attempting to accomplish.

An effective encyclopedia article

Scholarpedia is not a peer-reviewed journal, but a peer-reviewed encyclopedia
written by the leading experts in their respective fields. It does not publish
"research" or "position" papers, but rather "living reviews" that will be
maintained by the future generation of experts via the process of curatorship.

An effective Scholarpedia article is 2-3 pages long (2,000 words), not counting
color figures and animations.

It does not have an abstract, introduction, conclusion, or discussion.

It does not contain "I", "we", "our", or other first- and second-person
pronouns. Encyclopedic articles just state the facts. (20 years from now
somebody else will be the curator of your article, so using "I" or "we" will be
confusing or misleading.)

It is neutral, mentioning alternative points of view if they are widely
accepted.

The article progresses from the simple to the complex.

Whenever possible, the article starts with a one-sentence or one-paragraph
dictionary-like definition of the main topic.

<snip>

Continue reading at this URL:

<http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/ Scholarpedia:Instructions_for_authors>

A shorter URL for the above link:

<http://tinyurl.com/2w3as2>

One would also be wise not to forget the print encyclopedias which are also
available online including Britannica , Americana, and Worldbook to name three.
There are plenty of K-12 and college teachers who do incredible handstands in
front of their class in their efforts to keep students from using any internet
resources, let alone a tool like the Wikiipedia in their research and report
writing for the class work of these teachers.  At Temple, I get pretty
exercised every time I hear of one of these blanket faculty promulgations about
not using the internet, period, in student research because Temple subscribes
to a huge number of journals accessed full text online over the internet.  I
have wondered in a case where we have a print edition and an online edition,
what happens to the content of these articles online that makes them so
important for professors to censor because reading them involves using the
internet. Hence, to the extent that these teachers continue to censor the
internet but permit some level of use of encyclopedias, print encyclopedias
will continue to be a part of the mix and their online versions for additional
reasons will continue to be used along with their online only competitors, the
new encyclopedia kids on the encyclopedia block.  It should also be remembered
that there are a huge number of print and online subject specific encyclopedias
and these will also be found by students or their use encouraged by teachers
who value specific subject specific encyclopedias like Groves Dictionary of
Music or Groves Dictionary of Art to name just two.  In short, I do not believe
that either Wikipedia or Google or both will hold any monopoly on encyclopedia
use and Wikipedia will continue to have educators who demonize the Wikipedia
and threaten excommunication to students in their classes who use it for their
assignments.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
Net-Gold
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold>
<http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/net-gold.html>
<http://groups.google.com/group/net-gold?hl=en>
<http://net-gold.jiglu.com/>
General Internet & Print Resources
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/20309>
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/ringleaders/davidd.html>
Educator-Gold
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Educator-Gold/>
K12ADMINLIFE
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K12AdminLIFE/>
Nina Dillard's Photographs
<http://homepage.mac.com/neemers1/PhotoAlbum3.html>
Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
<http://tinyurl.com/36qd2o>
Net-Gold Membership Required to View Photos

---------------------------------

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, EDTECH Editor-Jones wrote:

> From: Jeffrey L. Jones <[log in to unmask]>

> David/All:

The comments of Jeffrey Jones on EDTECH may be read at this URL

<http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrowse.pl?trx=vx&list=
EDTECH&month=0712&week=c&msg=OuFH6wQRJLrbch13bkdj%2bQ&user=&pw=>

A shorter URL for the above link:

<http://tinyurl.com/35x5n9>

My original post may be read at the URL found at bottom of this post
excerpt.

>> From: David P. Dillard <[log in to unmask]>
>>
>> REFERENCE: ENCYCLOPEDIAS :
>> REFERENCE: ONLINE REFERENCE SOURCES AND TOOLS: Wikipedia Competitor Being
>> Tested by Google
>>

>> Wikipedia Competitor Being Tested by Google
>> By MIGUEL HELFT
>> Published: December 15, 2007
>> New York Times
>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/15/technology/15web.html>
>>

>> SAN FRANCISCO  Google is testing a new Web service intended to become a
>> repository of knowledge from experts on various topics, one that could turn
>> into a competitor to Wikipedia and other sites.
>>
>> If it attracts a following, the service could accelerate Googles
>> transformation from a search engine into a company that helps create and
>> publish Web content. Some critics said that shift could compromise Googles
>> objectivity in presenting search results.

<snip>

My complete original post

<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/21476>