VTBIRD Archives

January 2008

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
David Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:07:45 -0500
A n. shrike perched in various treetops around our house today most of the
morning until mid afternoon. It made a couple dives into our forsythia bushes
for tree sparrows but came up empty. Pine grosbeaks have been very
noticeable this week throughout Brattleboro and W. Brattleboro. I've seen
several flocks of between 8- 26 birds. Today, in W. Bratt., there was a flock
of 18 pine grosbeaks feeding in the same cluster of trees as a flock of 100+
cedar waxwings, 5 bluebirds, and 2 robins. We also had a lone evening
grosbeak vocalizing at the top of a larch pine on 1/1. As of 1/1, we've had
daily visits from c. redpolls. Earlier in the week the flocks were in the 40-60
range; the last three days the flock size increased to ~ 100 around our house.
A male red-bellied woodpecker continues to visit our trees and suet.
Dave Johnston, W. Brattleboro