VTBIRD Archives

January 2008

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Laurie Casserly <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 20:14:34 -0500
Hi Birders- My husband and I visited the Slang Rd area and the Briylea area at Dead Creek on Saturday. The road which intersects Slang had some low trees in which we first observed a Northern shrike and then to our great surprise a Northern mockingbird- practically twins. Crazy- considering how often Ive seen mockers in northern VT- not. We caught good looks at a couple of rough leggeds(sp.?). which we have often seen in that area though usually more. As luck continued we saw a couple of mature bald eagles.
What was highly unusual though was the absence of any grassland birds such as horned larks, snow buntings or lapland longspurs at Dead creek . Neither were they in evidence anywhere on rte 17 to and from Bristol! Happy birding- Laurie in Starksboro