VTBIRD Archives

January 2008

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Jim Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:34:08 -0500
Hello all,

Great birding outing today. I went to Shelburne Point (cove west of shipyard)
at 9:29 am. I located, what I am assuming to be, the same two Harlequin
Ducks that I saw on Jan. 20th. One was an adult drake, the other was a 1st
winter male.They were with a flock of 92 Goldeneyes and 1 Lond-tailed Duck
female. The ducks were easily visable using binos from my vehicle, but I did
get out and use my scope as well. They were a little north of center cove
about 70 yards out and eventually drifted quite far out toward the open lake.
The water was a little wavy at first and became extremely choppy by the time
I left, which was at 9:51 am.

I then got together with Larry Haugh and we went to Grand Isle and So. Hero.
We tried to find the Mute Swans but did not. We did see a nice male Red-
breasted Merganser at the Grand Isle Ferry landing, though. Next, we tried the
So. Hero causeway. The ice was all gone on the west side of the causeway.
We found a few flocks of Goldeneyes and decided to walk the causeway to
get a better sunlight angle on them. We scanned the flock closest to us and
located 2 Redhead males at 12:31 pm. That flock had about 200 Goldeneyes
and 14 Scaup.On the way back we saw a lone Red-breasted Merganser female.

Our final stop was the Sanbar causeway. We pulled over by the Sandbar Inn
because there were many Gulls on the north side of the causeway. Larry
spotted a Gull that was almost all white, among the numerous Great Black-
backed and Herring Gulls at 2:39 pm. We observed it for about 15 minutes and
decided together that it was a paler juvenile (1st winter) Iceland Gull.

Enjoy Birds,

Jim Mead