late report of birding on Jan 1, 2008

Jim Mead <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 5 Jan 2008 12:00:33 -0500

I would have posted this report sooner, but I have been under the weather
since about 7:00pm on 1/1/08. I have finally recovered from that.

I wanted to try and get as many species as I could on the first day of 2008. I
left my house @ 4:15am and ended my day @ Lakeside Ave. in Burl. @ 3:30pm.
My first bird of the year was a Barred Owl, my last bird of the day was a Great
Black-backed gull. Listed below, are species in the order that I spotted them.
The location of each is where I spotted the first or only one of it or them. The
(number) after each specie is the total seen of that one throughout the day.

1)Barred Owl(1) on Bay Rd in Shelburne @4:45am
2)Great Horned Owl(3) 1 heard on Basin Harbor Rd in Ferrisburg, 1 heard, 1
seen behind BHCC
3)Northern Cardinal(5) 1 on Basin Harbor Rd @ 7:00am
4)Mourning Dove(36) 1 on Basin Harbor Rd
5)Red-tailed Hawk(11) 1 on Basin Harbor Rd
6)Snow Bunting(201)-flock of 200 on Button Bay Rd in Ferr.
7)Cooper's Hawk(1) on Button Bay Rd
8)Rough-legged Hawk(4)-1 light morph on Button Bay Rd
9)American Crow(16) 5 on Panton Rd
10)American Tree Sparrow(7) 2 on Panton Rd
11)Black-capped Chickadee(17) 3 on Panton Rd
12)European Starling(670) 5 on Slang Rd in Panton, the rest on various farms
in the area
13)Common Raven(2) on Slang Rd
14)American Black Duck(16) 14 @ Stone Dam in Panton
15)Mallard(72) 2 @ Stone Dam
16)Common Redpoll(68) 25 on West Rd, near Stone Dam
17)Northern Shrike juv.(1) on West Rd, near the turn to Slang Rd
18)Blue Jay(3) on Slang Rd @ 8:17am
19)Hairy Woodpecker(4) 1 on Slang Rd
20)Downy Woodpecker(4) 2 on Slang Rd
21)White-breasted Nuthatch(2) 1 on Slang Rd
22)Common Goldeneye(2171) 2000 in flock @ White Bay in Panton
23)House Finch(7) 2 on Lake Rd in Panton
24)Canada Goose(2) in Potash Bay @ 10:03am
25)Red-bellied Woodpecker(2) 1 on Tri-Town Rd in Addison, 1 on Webster Rd
in Ferrisburg
26)Tufted Titmouse(2) on Tri-Town Rd
27)Rock Pigeon(32) 1 on utility wire off of Button Bay Rd
28)House Sparrow(12) 4 in cupola on barn roof on Webster Rd
29)Dark-eyed Junco(3) 1 on Webster Rd
30)Cedar Waxwing(399) 32 in tree just before entering BHCC
31)Red-breasted Merganser(5) in cove near BHCC, all female
32)Common Loon(2) 1 in cove near BHCC, 1 @ Shelb. Beach (yes, I walked in)
33)Common Merganser(9) 3 in Button Bay
34)Northern Flicker yellow-shafted(1) in Button Bay Overlook Area
35)Pileated Woodpecker(1) on Button Bay Rd
36)Lapland Longspur(4) on Little Chicago Rd in Ferr.
37)Horned Lark(125) 121 on Little Chicago Rd
38)Bohemian Waxwing(2) 1 on Sand Rd in Ferr., 1 on Deerfield Dr. in So. Burl.-
each one was with a flock of Cedar Waxwings
39)American Goldfinch(1) on Sand Rd @ 12:51pm
40)Hooded Merganser(5) 1 f-Converse Bay in Charlotte, 3m & 1f in McNeal Bay
41)Bufflehead(10) 7 @ McNeal Bay in Charlotte @ 2:00pm
42)American Robin(92) 1 @ Charlotte Ferry parking lot (next to McNeal Bay)
43)Horned Grebe(13) all of them in Meach Cove @ Shelbune Beach
44)Lesser Scaup(5)-(located & identified as Lesser by T. Murin) there may
have been more, but I was too tired to keep counting
45)Herring Gull(2) in Shelburne Bay, there may have been more....
46)Ring-billed Gull(15) in Shelburne Bay, there may have been more....
47)Pine Grosbeak(6) 3f & 3m on Nowland Farm Rd in So. Burl.
48)Great Black-backed Gull(27) on rocks sticking out of the water in front of
Blodgett's Beach in Burl., there may have been more....  I'm Beat-the end

Enjoy Birds,
Jim Mead
Essex Junction