I took that very challenge at age 8. Ever the skeptic even then, I just
didn't believe one could actually get a rash from contact with a leaf. So I
sat in a patch and rubbed the leaves over all exposed skin. My first vivid
example of experiential learning.
on 01/21/2008 11:32 AM, Bruce MacPherson at [log in to unmask] wrote:
> It's worth noting that the skin rash that occurs in humans after exposure to
> poison ivy is, in fact, an allergic (ie immune) reaction to the oil on the
> leaves of the plant. Accordingly, the rash tends to be worse with repeated
> exposures over time as your immune system "remembers" exposures in the past.
> Curiously, a small percentage of people (10% or so) fail to develop the usual
> allergic response to poison ivy. I do not advise challenging yourself to see
> if you
> are one of the lucky 10%, however.
> Bruce MacPherson
> South Burlington
> **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.