]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCHOOL-IT Home

SCHOOL-IT  January 2008

SCHOOL-IT January 2008

Re: throw another distraction log on the IT pyre

Jean Campbell <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:31:35 -0500

When I watch my 2 teenagers at home do homework it really amazes me.  They have ITunes going, a guitar in the lap that is getting strummed, the excel spreadsheet open and getting periodic attention, Google open for research, IMing with a couple of buddies and some food noshing along with it all.  It really makes me crazy  to watch them but they prefer to operate that way and the overall results are positive when the report cards comes home so who am I to say what is right?

I do watch kids in school however that are totally distracted by all this stuff.  Even though we have the technology and distractions that come along with it, there are still those that learn in different ways and it is not a one size fits all.  What we as adults could do is help the distracted ones find a better fit by encouraging them to lose some of the excess.

I do still love the K.I.S.S. theory .....it is clean and elegant....and I guess OLD!

Jean

This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  If this e-mail contains student information and you are not entitled to access such information under FERPA, please notify the sender.  Federal regulations require that you destroy this e-mail without reviewing it and you may not forward it to anyone.

>>> Stephen Barner <[log in to unmask]> 1/29/2008 11:12 AM >>>
I hope our economy can hold out until this new generation of "digital
natives" are productive members of the workforce. According to all the
highly-compensated gurus who present at the educational conferences,
these young people have rewired their brains through extended exposure
to multi-tasking and are actually more efficient than we old fogies who
have brains that can only do one or two things at the same time. Our
soon-to-be extinct species has been shown to actually take 20 minutes to
fully recover our efficiency after an interruption, but this new species
of human, homo iPodian, will actually perform better when interrupted,
according to these learned educational pundits.

So, let's just hope our economy can coast until these young people can
save our boomer bacon and pay for our Social Security. Let's also hope
they can survive their educational experience with those out-of-touch
teachers they have, like me, who still make them turn off their MP3
players and stop playing Helicopter when I'm trying to teach a class in
my doomed, old-fashioned sort of way.

--Steve Barner