SKIVT-L January 2008, Week 4

Re: A First Backcountry Trip?

Nathan Bryant <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:28:44 -0500

Hi Denis,

We went up roughly via the clockwise route outlined in the Goodman book,
after talking to the employee at the desk at the nordic center, who
directed us as follows:

up the Timberlane to Crosscut 2
up the Burt Trail to the old Ranch Camp site, with its picnic table and
weird metal thingies. What are those?
up the Ranch Camp trail to the highest section of the Old Camp trail,
which turns right just before the Ranch Camp trail starts to descend
towards the Haul Road.
up Old Camp to a clearing on Trapp property, where the Skytop trail begins.

Grooming ends with the Old Camp trail. (So, the solid line that you've
noted on the map is somewhat misleading.) We were on our AT setups
(Fritschis and Ethics/Mystics) and found that green kick wax was
sufficient up until the start of the Skytop trail, where we put on
skins. Until we put on skins, there was rarely more than a small section
of herringboning required. After we put on skins, it was never much
steeper than a cross country trail for long, so the ascent was mostly
easy, but the terrain was rough and tight enough to make skins the
easiest option. With the cold temperatures, the wax was extremely
sticky. In December, however, we had had a lot less luck with violet and
pink wax on a near- or above-freezing day in the Dacks. I don't have a
lot of experience with wax, maybe someone else can comment about how it
responds to temperature?

In any case, we went across Skytop following old ski tracks which become
confused at one of the knolls, but then resolved themselves. The trail
is blazed with red metal squares nailed to the trees and is for the most
part easy to follow. After the junction with Steeple, the old ski tracks
ended and we were on untracked snow almost all the way out to Lightning
Knoll, where we encountered skinny tracks again. There are excellent
views of Mansfield and points west from several points along the ridge,
also, the timber density varies greatly along the ridgetop making for
several spots with an open, sunlit, pleasant experience. We have two or
three photos which simply don't do the place justice.

As far as the descent goes, we mostly just picked our own line through
the lovely open glades. At the top, the line we chose happened to follow
the red blazed trail pretty closely, and I think that the trail was
planned to utilized the glades for descent. I think we happened to
follow the Dewey more closely at first. After a the first two or three
more open glades, however, we started to wander further and further off
trail and entirely lost the Dewey for a while, ending up on the
Underhill trail, and then simply dropping into the trees below that. So
I can't really describe the difficulty of the trail itself ;). However,
we found another unmarked trail that led back to the area near Ranch
Camp, so this unmarked trail could have been somewhere close to the
lower Steeple.

Although I don't know about the trail itself, the glades are not steep,
especially if you are on fat tele/alpine skis. My feeling is that the
tree shots themselves are easy and fun, and the only obstacle on the
descent is the random brook crossings--which can be annoying! I released
from my bindings trying to jump up one of the embankments. In any case,
if you spend enough time traversing, not counting stream crossings, you
should find a gentle line down.

For what it's worth the caution sign described in the Goodman book is
now apparently gone.

Nathan