Re: OvidSP performance

"David P. Dillard" <[log in to unmask]>

David P. Dillard

Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:15:29 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

This post is not about the issue of the speed of response time of the
service.  I recently had an hour or so of training from the OVIDSP people
and there are several things that I learned from them and from other
sources that may be of help in some of the matters that have been
discussed regarding this service.

First of all, for us at Temple, the advanced search is now a default and
the search history being displayed is also now a default mode.  No longer
do we open to the basic screen for searching.  This is a wonderful change
from my perspective.

Our very resourceful and helpful electronic resources librarian, Brian
Schoolar, discovered why I had been having so much trouble getting the
search history to display.  It never occured to me that the black text
title for the search history option, beside which is the ICON View Saved,
that that black text is a link option, so I was clicking on View Saved
thinking this activated the search history.  This instead is search saves
of prior searches, I believe, and the black text Search History is where
the search steps for the current search can be turned on and off.  I think
ICONS of this importance should be displayed in such a manor as to make it
obvious that they are hyperlinks to a choice and not just plain text
headings, black text headings do not convey this to me.  Boy did I feel
dumb when Brian came all the way out to the reference desk to share this
piece of knowledge with me. Even the also black down pointing arrow head
did not provide me with the clue that this text was a hyperlink.

The most important errudition that took place in the OVIDSP session was
the knowledge imparted by the trainers that this was not a geology class
as the OVIDSP version we now have is not carved in stone, but is and will
be subject to ongoing change.  It is important that those with problems
with OVIDSP and those planning to continue using this service, that these
folks contact OVID and express their concerns.  I find phone the best tool
as one talks with a live person and can get a name and follow up with
email or additional phone calls to continue such dialogs as needed.

Indeed the next update of the system, one is planned in the Spring and
another in the Summer, if my memory serves correctly, will see the
elimination of the moving around of boxes on the web page that has so many
folks exercised, including yours truely who responded to this feature with
the comment that I buy video games at video game stores and not from
online search vendors.

A solution is coming to my arm overuse injury problem with the design of
the "Results Manager" box.  The action icons will be both at the top and
the bottom of the box obviating the need to fill out the box and then
scroll back to the top of the box to DISPLAY, PRINT PREVIEW, EMAIL OR
SAVE.  This was put on the side as OVIDSP people say that many would not
scroll to the bottom of the page to execute these options to deal with the
records their searching found.  I still greatly prefer a horizontal box
for these options over the left sidebar approach and suggest an
alternative would be to put this group of options, the entire Results
Manager box horizontally ABOVE the Results of Your Search records display.

The basic search is another search tool.  It should always be one step
only as additional steps and step combination in this environment will
confuse the system.  It should always be a text description of the
information sought and is designed for end users who are completely
innocent of understanding of search techniques in a structured system like
OVID Syntax, now the Advanced search of OVIDSP.

My advice, keep those phone lines at OVIDSP ringing and be persistent.
OVIDSP needs a bunch of squeeky wheels out there to correct any problems
with the system that hurt users of this interface as they do plan to
change the system in an ongoing effort to improve it.  I certainly think,
myself that the appearance of the system is one area needing improvement.
I think the appearance of OVID Gateway was infinitely more attractive and
professional looking than the OVIDSP Ted Mack Amateur Hour website design
appearing in the OVIDSP version with the Search Tips box leading the way
in amateurish features.  In this regard, has anyone found out what this
statement means to the average freshman in college:

"In Basic Search, results are ranked by relevancy based on the search
terms."

I also think the overall typography, font selection and structure of the
current OVIDSP is just very poor looking in contrast to the very
professional and inviting appearances of the old OVID Gateway, EBSCO, CSA,
ProQuest, First Search and other search tool web page appearance online.
Hey, even Google Books and Scholar look far better to the eye in my
opinion.

For any who doubt the importance of contacting vendors or posting on
pertinent discussion groups like MEDLIB-L regarding the issues uncovered
in using online search systems and other such software, I cite my post of
several years ago regarding EBSCO.  Within forty-eight hours of that post
my searching experience using EBSCO drastically and permanently changed.
It was better than Johnson's Baby Shampoo for wiping away the tears.

DATABASES: DATABANKS AND SEARCH SERVICE PROVIDERS :
DATABASE: SEARCHING TECHNIQUES:
EBSCO: Customer Service Past and Present and Learning Better Ways to Use
EBSCO
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Net-Gold/message/11695>

At the OVIDSP training session, I found my questions and concerns were
really listened to and the advice and observations will I expect be passed
on to the appropriate people in the organization for consideration.

The environment in which this post was composed was enhanced by the notes
of Csar Auguste Franck (1822 - 1890)  Symphonic Poem: Le Chasseur Maudit
(The Accursed Huntsman) ; Symphonic Variations for Piano and Orchestra
playing in the background.

<http://www.musicweb-international.com/
Programme_Notes/franck_chasseursymvariations.htm>

A shorter URL for the above link:

<http://tinyurl.com/2sz56w>

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
Net-Gold
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold>
<http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/net-gold.html>
<http://groups.google.com/group/net-gold?hl=en>
<http://net-gold.jiglu.com/>
General Internet & Print Resources
<http://guides.temple.edu/general-internet>
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/ringleaders/davidd.html>
Educator-Gold
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Educator-Gold/>
K12ADMINLIFE
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K12AdminLIFE/>
Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
<http://tinyurl.com/36qd2o>
Net-Gold Membership Required to View Photos