]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCHOOL-IT Home

SCHOOL-IT  March 2008

SCHOOL-IT March 2008

Re: EEE PC as mobile lab replacement - long term use?

Craig Lyndes <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:52:30 -0400

Dear Bjorn,

I've had my eee for two weeks now.  I'm not using it in a classroom with
kids, but as my PC on the go as I travel between the 3 buildings I'm
responsible for.  I changed the user interface so I get the KDE desktop,
and I've added 5 other repositories, so I've had good luck downloading
tool software.  My last attempt was Wireshark packet sniffer, good to
have it!  I find using it to research on the web is very easy.  The
small screen needs scrolling in both dimensions usually, but the
information is there when you need it.  I also have no problem with any
of the plugins (so far) or web 2.0 stuff.

The keyboard is close, and some keys aren't where I'm used to them.
However as I get more practice I am getting better.  The feel of the
keys is rattly and cheap.  I'm not sure if they really are made of egg
shells, but it kind of feels that way.  The battery doesn't last long
enough.  I got the 399 (actually 425 from the place that took purchase
orders) version with the 2.8 hour battery.  The wireless definitely
shortens battery life.

The size is spectacular.  I work out of my car and am in constant motion
once I'm in a building so having something that I can grab and go is
wonderful.

At St. Albans City School Lucie has an exploratory class where she
invited me to come show it off.  These kids had become the school's open
source evangelists so the linux wasn't an issue for them.  I handed the
eee around, then Lucie asked them to break into 2 groups, who would like
one and who would prefer a standard laptop.  It was 2 for the eee 6 for
the standard.  Then we changed it to who would like an eee and a
standard desktop  or who would like just a standard laptop (comparable
in price, a generous 1000).  It became 4 to 4.

I love it when people gawk at it, exclaiming how small it is, I can say,
"Yup, this is what happens when you get one of these laptops wet.".

Sincerely
Craig Lyndes