]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  March 2008, Week 3

MEDLIB-L March 2008, Week 3

Re: UPDATED SUMMARY: replaced print with virtual medical/hospital lib rary

"Rothbaum, Ellen" <[log in to unmask]>

Rothbaum, Ellen

Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:29:46 -0400

In short YES.  Most libraries are not libraries of record, and would not
rationally be expected to have items from 1890.  In addition, many
libraries and their institutions did not exist in 1890; our was only
founded in 1953.  We have had no problem getting older materials on ILL
when we needed them.

The concept of interlibrary loan was developed by medical libraries in
recognition of the fact that no single library had every single item
that their users wanted/needed.  If I remember corectly, John Shaw
Billings, at what became the National Library of Medicine, had a service
where materials would be either sent to a person's "home" lbirary or
copied at the future NLM there for them.

Ellen
Ellen Rothbaum, MS, AHIP
Assistant Director
Daniel Carroll Payson Medical Library